Science fair project help!

Chicken lover 4

Chirping
Mar 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hi!
big_smile.png
My neighbors just got 5 chickens, 2 buffs, a Rhode Island Red, a French Marion, and an Americana.
D.gif
They said I could do a science fair project on them! But I don't know what to do.The science fair is in 2 months, so I can't do anything involving laying and hatching eggs
barnie.gif
. I hope you guys can help and give me some award-winning ideas! Thank you!
frow.gif

Ask if you can feed them different kinds of veggies and fruits to see what ones they consume the quickest. You can also try different timesbto see if that changes how much the eat in a certain amount of time.

Take cultures from storebought eggs (normal, cage-free, freerange, and pasture-raise) and the eggs from your neighbors chickens. A culture is when bacteria is encouraged to grow in a controlled environment, then the colonies are counted to see which has the most bacteria. Look up "how to do a culture" on google. Basically, you take a swab of both inside the egg, and the eggshells, label petri dishes with the sample, and then incubate the samples (you could probably make a DIY one). Record with samples had the most bacteria.
I'm not sure if you would be able to gather much information, but it's a different idea and I think the judges would appreciate it if it were conclusive!
Good luck!

Last edited:
Or you could do a study on the difference in feed consumption, comparing free choice fermented feed with free choice dry feed. You could also include a egg count and egg weight while the birds are on the 2 feeds.

Someone made a similar thread about ducklings like a month ago. We had some good ideas in there, maybe you could read through it and get inspired?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/954151/science-fair-expierament

Also I'll ask the same thing I asked her: What's gonna happen to the babies when the experiment is over? Are you gonna keep them and make 'em happy? <3

Yes, I am going to keep them. We will raise them so they can lay unfertilized eggs and we will cook and eat them ( NOT the chickens, the eggs)

We took wheat seeds and colored them different colors one blue one red then we put them in separate yogurt cups that were screwed to a board and set it out to see if they prefer one ccolor over the other. When we made her board we put facts about chicken eyesight and the difference between chicken and human eyes as well as the record of our findings when it came to the feed.

Back
Top Bottom