science podject 8th

chickman66

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 14, 2014
hey my grandma has 9 chickens 3 are bard rocks 4 are rhode island and 2 are white and one looks like a hawk and lays a kinda green easter egg can some one help me pick out unexpensive food Im trying too figure out what they like including grass grain and seed it will be like a match 1 day leave a certain type of any of those and compare to the other feed i will apreaciate it greatly if any one helps but i know a bit about chickens if some one has any questions but can somone explain my grandma has two chickens running around and the white one lays brown eggs can someone explain that to me

Last edited:
hey my grandma has 9 chickens 3 ar bard rocks 4 are rhode island and 2 are white and one looks like a hawk and lays a kinda green easter egg can some one help me pick out unexpensive food Im trying too figure out what they like including grass grain and seed it will be like a match 1 day leave a certain type of any of those and compare to the other feed i will apreaciat it greatly if any one helps but i know a bit about chickens if some one has any questions but can somone explain my grandma has two chickens running arouund and the white one lays brown eggs can someone explain that to me
The hawk-like bird is a mixed breed bird which is commonly known as an "Easter Egger".

If I understand your project you are wanting to do comparative feedings using various food items to determine which the birds prefer, correct? Are you going to also consider the nutritional value of each food item or simply draw conclusions based on the birds' preferences? Are you wanting to compare just different commercial brands of feed, forms of feed (crumble, pellet, mash, fermented), non commercial food items or?

The color of the bird does not determine the color of the egg, the breed of the bird (or breeds for mixes) does - the white bird that lays the brown egg could be one of a few different breeds, if you post pictures of the bird we can identify the breed (or breeds if it is determined to be a mixed breed) and that will explain the egg color.

thank you but im not doing nutritional im just doing what they like the best but i just want to know what kinds of food i should use to compare thanks so much for that can you help me more

From a control standpoint - be sure the feeds are offered in identical containers - this will assure your results are not skewed by a preference to the container vs. the food item. Experiments have been done that show that chickens can be conditioned to see something as simple as the color of the food dish as the indicator as to what to eat/not eat - this was done with identical types of feeders in two different colors.

Back
Top Bottom