1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

science podject 8th

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickman66, Nov 14, 2014.

1. chickman66

chickman66 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    hey my grandma has 9 chickens 3 are bard rocks 4 are rhode island and 2 are white and one looks like a hawk and lays a kinda green easter egg can some one help me pick out unexpensive food Im trying too figure out what they like including grass grain and seed it will be like a match 1 day leave a certain type of any of those and compare to the other feed i will apreaciate it greatly if any one helps but i know a bit about chickens if some one has any questions but can somone explain my grandma has two chickens running around and the white one lays brown eggs can someone explain that to me

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    I wish I could help, but I am still stumped on how a cow eats green grass and gives white milk.......

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The hawk-like bird is a mixed breed bird which is commonly known as an "Easter Egger".

If I understand your project you are wanting to do comparative feedings using various food items to determine which the birds prefer, correct? Are you going to also consider the nutritional value of each food item or simply draw conclusions based on the birds' preferences? Are you wanting to compare just different commercial brands of feed, forms of feed (crumble, pellet, mash, fermented), non commercial food items or?

The color of the bird does not determine the color of the egg, the breed of the bird (or breeds for mixes) does - the white bird that lays the brown egg could be one of a few different breeds, if you post pictures of the bird we can identify the breed (or breeds if it is determined to be a mixed breed) and that will explain the egg color.

4. chickman66

Nov 14, 2014
    thank you but im not doing nutritional im just doing what they like the best but i just want to know what kinds of food i should use to compare thanks so much for that can you help me more

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    From a control standpoint - be sure the feeds are offered in identical containers - this will assure your results are not skewed by a preference to the container vs. the food item. Experiments have been done that show that chickens can be conditioned to see something as simple as the color of the food dish as the indicator as to what to eat/not eat - this was done with identical types of feeders in two different colors.

6. chickman66

Nov 14, 2014
    ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by