Science project incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cjhixon, Jan 14, 2011.

1. cjhixon

cjhixon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    Bonsall, CA
    My son and I are starting on our first incubator for a science project. I thought I'd post progress and the lessons learned along the way. Who knows, maybe I'm getting a jump on the 2011 contest. [​IMG] Here is the page. I will continue to update it until we are done with the science project.

Science Fair Incubator!

Enjoy,
    Carl

2. lxlzbaca

lxlzbaca Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    New Mexico
    My kids & I are also experimenting! I am planning on having my daughter use it as her science experiment next school year. [​IMG]

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I built my own incubator and through trial and error I can tell you this. Do not skimp on the thermostat. I ended buying a all electronic one from Incubaror Warehouse for 49.99 it sounds like a lot but it's a whole lot less stressfulll if you know something works. I ended up buying a second one for my hatcher so I could have staggered hatches if I needed to. Sending you good incubation vibs. [​IMG] Good luck on you hatch. [​IMG]

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is another good home built incubator for school projects.. AS well as it hatches seramas great!!..lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    The thermostat shown in Baralak's pic is a good way to go. The water heater thermostats are going to disappoint in the long run. That being said, you can close the dead band up a bit. Do this by carefully drilling holes in the thin metal housing the snap disk that controls the hot water heater thermo. This exposes the snap disk to more heat sooner. Try drilling 4, one at each corner if you will, around the original hole you can see the snap disk thru. Be careful not to damage the disk inside. But in the end it will likely still not really work well, but usable. The wafer thermostat is a much better deal, can be had for $20.00ish on ebay. The puter fan is a real plus as well, as you probably already know. If you do just a bit of ebay shopping your chances of a good hatch go way up... Sounds like your gonna have as much fun as the students do. Best of luck, Bill

6. marriedmybestfr

marriedmybestfr New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Your homemade incubator looks great. Can you tell me where you purchased the thermometer and what brand? We are going to start on one for our home school biology class this year.

Thank you!

7. psmith100

psmith100 New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    Wow your DIY Incubator looks awesome! How many days it takes to hatch while using this incubator?

Thanks,
    Patricia
    eBillingMadeEasy.com

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by