Scissor beak chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mybackyardpeepers, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Hi everyone. This is more a journey post than a help post. So here it goes...
    I contacted a silkie breeder regarding purchasing some babies. Lady was/is awesome let me get that out there, but: I allowed her to pick my chicks, she knew exactly what I was looking for, sent pictures and held onto chicks that would of been gone by the time we could meet up (she lived about 2 hours away)
    So we finally pick a day to meet half way and the exciting day comes. Load up a very over excited 5 year old daughter and off we go for the 45 minutes car ride, getting through a multi car accident (involving a horse trailer even, horses were fine). We arrive at the meeting place and the lady starts pulling these tiny cuties from a box and into the bin I brought, but as she was pulling the little black and white one that she offered to throw in with on top of my asking amount I noticed she had a scissor beak. Now the picture she sent you could not tell, but soon as she started pulling it out of the box I noticed. I mentioned it and her reaction was "oh I didn't even notice that". Ummm she took an individual picture of this chick and never noticed and hatches chicks from an incubator.
    Ok on with the story and my point lol. I told her to put it in my bin and we got the rest situated then went home. I am not upset nor mad at her, confused as to if she really didn't notice (unlikely) or she was trying to pass it off. Any how my intentions are to call my local vet (they do aviary, livestock) and see if they can assist with her care (beak sanding, etc) if needed. It is not an extreme case, but I know it gets worse as she gets older.
    received_2114743711968687.jpeg IMG_20190622_160011717.jpg
    It looks more like she has her mouth open as it is not that extreme looking in person, my daughter is in love with her already!
    I will post updated photos and info after I talk to my vet and as she gets older.

2. nebulathechicken

nebulathechicken Chirping

Jun 9, 2018
    Bigfork MT
    I love the pictures!!! It sounds like you had a really crazy experience, but it seems like it’s all going to work out. Good luck with the scissor beak!

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  3. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I would purchase more chicks from her, the way I see it is she must have trusted me in raising this precious baby. I was very clear I wanted pets not show quality.

4. nebulathechicken

nebulathechicken Chirping

Jun 9, 2018
    Bigfork MT
    That’s cool, and if you were just wanting pets. Why not help the little guy out.

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  5. I wish you the best of luck. I had to put down a scissor beak chick a few weeks ago. The problem is as they grow it will get worse. Some do okay but when mine was struggling to eat and getting frustrated I knew it was the most humane thing to do. My vet told me there was no coming back from this for her unless I wanted to tube feed her, not a life for a chicken.

Mybackyardpeepers and 007Sean like this.
  6. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Aww, she isn't bad at all! Really as long as ya'll make sure her tongue stays moist she should be peachy.
    Happy endings are much too rare these days.:)

7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    I have a pheasant, that as a chick got pecked on severely. It's top break is missing all the way back to it's nares. The bottom beaks has about a 1/4 of it missing. It's 14 months old now and doing just fine...although, it doesn't look very pretty. ;)

Mybackyardpeepers and Chickassan like this.
  8. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    A couple have defective toes, like no toe nails. Seems to be the frizzles so not sure if this is normal?

9. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Awww I think it just makes them MORE special!

007Sean likes this.
  10. Mybackyardpeepers

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I'm seeing defects in other chicks to not sure if they are normal yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: