Scissor beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eleanor C, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Eleanor C

Eleanor C Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2017
    My teenage chickens beak is completely scissored the top part of her beak is normal but then the bottom is really off to the side. I cant figure out what to do I have been giving her mashed up chick food but she is much smaller then thenother chicks and I think shes malnurished. Please let me know if you have any advice to help her or to fix it. Thank you!!!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there, try Facebook - Crossbeaks and special needs birds. They have a ton of info on care, problems etc. - very helpful group. [​IMG]

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I have one the same way. She is doing good and lays about every day. I built her a automatic feeder that's about 3x3 inches at the bottom and about 3 inches deep. She can eat all she wants this way. She loves for me to soak a little feed with water---not to wet but enough it will hold a shape-----she just jams her beak into it. She can not eat off the dirt or out a regular feeder. Fix her something and she will feed herself. Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. Eleanor C

Eleanor C Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2017
    Can you send me a picture of your feeder? I think that will help her!

5. Eleanor C

Eleanor C Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2017
    I will definetly look on facebook thanks!

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    It or any type feeder that will keep the feed deep enough so she can eat will work. I picked her up just a few minutes ago----she is as healthy as any of the rest of the hens, But she did stay skinny for a while until I separated her---put her with 2 other not perfect chickens and gave her this feeder----she put on some weight. I tried clipping but her beak is so crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by