Scissor beak?

Howland

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Hi! I'm hoping maybe someone has some advice. My rooster has scissor beak and I think it is getting worse. Is there anything I can do to minimize the crossing or a special food to feed him? He seems to be having some difficulty picking up food, he isn't terribly skinny but not plump like the hens. Thank you!!!
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi! I'm hoping maybe someone has some advice. My rooster has scissor beak and I think it is getting worse. Is there anything I can do to minimize the crossing or a special food to feed him? He seems to be having some difficulty picking up food, he isn't terribly skinny but not plump like the hens. Thank you!!!
[/URL]
Here is a link to understand scissor beak.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it.html

With modifications to living environment,scissor beak chickens can live a long and happy life.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link ten chicks! I'm going to get a deep dish and try the mash. I just worry he is only getting just enough to sustain himself. Are rooster usually leaner than hens? He is my first/only rooster.

Thank you for the link ten chicks! I'm going to get a deep dish and try the mash. I just worry he is only getting just enough to sustain himself. Are rooster usually leaner than hens? He is my first/only rooster.
Up to this point your rooster may not have been getting enough to eat. Follow advice given in link,with these modifications he should start gaining weight. He is gorgeous. Generally roosters are leaner,but it is hard to tell with mine,my roosters are huge.

Thank you again ten chicks! I just got him a deep rubber dish. I'm going to mix water and the chick food to make mash then possibly add a few other items. I've read baby food but what kind? Fruit? Veggie? Meat? I feel totally inadequate about taking proper care of him, but I plan on remedying that immediately. Thank you for saying he is gorgeous, he is very pretty. I should get a body shot or two, though he has been under the antique truck so he has a grease streak on his back.

Thank you again ten chicks! I just got him a deep rubber dish. I'm going to mix water and the chick food to make mash then possibly add a few other items. I've read baby food but what kind? Fruit? Veggie? Meat? I feel totally inadequate about taking proper care of him, but I plan on remedying that immediately. Thank you for saying he is gorgeous, he is very pretty. I should get a body shot or two, though he has been under the antique truck so he has a grease streak on his back.
The only baby food,i have read to give is baby food for parrots,it is higher in calories to help gain weight. It may be ok to give human baby food to chickens,but as i have no experience giving it to chickens(i give pablum to sick cats/kittens,dogs)i cannot recommend which would be best.

Ugh smacking my head with hand! I read the baby food part and assumed human baby food. I'll try to find some baby parrot food, we live in a very rural part of Upstate NY. If need be I'll order some.

I have a scissor beak hen who is not as full as the rest her breed, but i think does well for her condition. i do not trim her beak because i am afraid to. I have a plastic dish about 4 or 5 inches in diameter and about 3-4 inches deep that i put her feed in and then separate her so she can eat other wards the older girls scare her away and eat her food. She also loves mash. I did tonight try human baby food. she didn't like it plain so i mixed with feed that she didn't like either so then mixed in some water to make a mash and she ate that. she does pretty good with the water. she dunks her whole beak/face in and uses her tongue like a dog to lap it up. i feel bad for her because she can't eat a lot of different treats like the others. i take dry bread, crumble it and put on top of her feed sometimes. I had left over breakfast casserole that i gave the girls and boy oh boy, i tell you, she smashed her face right into it and ate it right up even off the paper plate. So i figure she can do scrambled eggs.

i wonder if i could give her Ensure to help with weight gain?

I have thought of buying a small bag of chick feed for her thinking that might help her gain more. going to google and see what i can come up with. Good luck with your Scissor Rooster.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner! I have taken Roo(my scissor beak rooster) to my vet, who did trim his beak and the vet told me if I had taken Roo in sooner he might have been able to correct it more. The vet suggested feeding cracked corn, a grower mash along with Roos usual chick food, to help him gain weight. Roo last week weighed 3 lbs 6 ozs at 11 weeks, my vet was pleased with that weight. I have also raised up all the feeders and waterers so he doesn't have to bend over so far just tip his head down slightly. The feed bowls are now all deep dish and filled up so he can, which he does, is put his whole beak in the bowl. I haven't gotten/found a deep dish waterer but I think he is drinking fine. I feed him and the rest of the girls bread bite size/torn up, peaches, bananas, watermelon, green beans and such. I now tend to make each piece smaller so Roo can eat some too.

Good luck with your scissor beak too! Feel free to contact me and we can compare notes or just discuss how we are helping our scissors beaks. :)

Quote:
I found a round sled of my sons that i have been using for water. I fill it up and they drink out of it. I will have to send a picutre if i remember. It works great for Bent Beak, aka BB. I was having the issue with trying to find a container for her to drink from. BB LOVES scrambled egg too and it's soft enough she shoves her face right down into them.

Back
Top Bottom