**Scoliosis**.need surgery,any advice?

buck-wild-chick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Hamilton C. FL
I'm going to have surgery sometime in DEC on my back.They will go in and put a 6-7 inch rod in my lower spine to correct it.Scoliosis is a curvature in your spine.It is found in some kids but mostly in girls.

Does anyone here have scoliosis and had the surgery?
How long did it take to recover?
Do you ride horses?
can you tell the rod is in there?
My back
**image removed due to personal information visible. Please crop and return.**

Last edited by a moderator:
my lil cousin shanny had the surgery. 6 months of recovery, and she'll do anything now a days
smile.png
Heck, she even challenged me to ride the mechanical bull at our favorite dive in houston. No worries girly. It isn't as bad/scary as it sounds.

I think you'll need some time for recovery, but you'll be able to do everything you're used to doing once you've recovered.

My cousin didn't have scoliosis, but she broke her back in several places in a car accident. Once she recovered, she was able to ride horses, ski, scuba, and even went sky diving a few times.

She never had any complaints about feeling the rod, that I recall, but part of her back, about three lower vertabra worth did not bend, so she had a bit less flexibility is all.

Last edited:
If you can, start in physical therapy now. Ask them and your doctor for specific exercises you can do right after surgery to make sure the muscle stay toned. you may have a lot of spasm after the surgery as one side of the muscles will be stretched and the other sided shortened. Don't hesitate to take the medication the doctor orders for this. Treating pain and spasm early after the surgery helps prevent it from getting worse and allows you to get better faster.

Are you still growing? I was recently told that the surgery is only effective if you are still actively growing. Ask your doctor what to expect---exactly what will happen during surgery, the amount of time in recovery, physical therapy, pain levels to expect, restrictions during recovery. Everything you can think of. The more you know ahead of time, the better you will feel in control of yourself.

Back
Top Bottom