Scoop's coop FINISHED!! Celebrate with us! Pics post 21

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Scoop, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    My coop construction actually began in the middle of March. I just did a little here and a little there as I found time amongst the million of other things I need to do. The first 2 pictures are pictures of our old coop which was bulit last year. It is only 4 X 7. These are pictures of the rear of the coop. The stone wall you see is a remnant of a big greenhouse that was there long ago. The chicken's run includes the wall. They have to hop over it to go from one part of the run to the other. They like perching on it and all that hopping gives them excercise!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Picture #3 shows the blocks that I am setting the new coop on. It's going to be 6 X 14 with 2 doors. I'll be creating a seperate rooster room about 6 X 4 so the hens can live in peace!
    [​IMG]
    Picture #4 shows how I'll be building next to the stone wall. That's proving to be a real bottleneck!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am actually further along than these pictures show. I managed to get the floor pieced together in a few days and the walls are now framed out. Today I finished framing out the little ventilation doors and began bracing it. I'll be posting pictures as I get them developed. I'm in the old 35mm school. [​IMG]
    The wood I am using is reclaimed roughsawn wood. We salvaged this from 3 buildings we had to tear down. One building was a big turkey coop and one was actually a HUGE 2 floor chicken coop. They really were beyond repair or we would have kept them!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Very Nice. Don't you love working with that old wood? I live in a 100 year old house and the wood is sooooo solid. So different than what you buy these days. Good job recycling!

BTW, I want your stone wall....

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    [​IMG] looking good.

4. Scoop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I love the fact that the roughsawn wood is free but boy is it slow to work with. This wood is split, twisted, full of nails, ugh! My hands are full of splinters!! But, if it's free, ya can't complain (or can ya?).

5. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks great so far... and I want your HUGE old barn!! [​IMG]

6. Scoop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Sorry, can't have my barn!! The previous owners not only had a huge chicken coop but they also had chickens on the third floor of the barn. There are still wooden nesting boxes up there and a de-beaker. I can't image collecting eggs 3 times a day going up those steps all the time. They had to be really dedicated! We have a few pages of their record-keeping, it's interesting. We think maybe they are from the late 70's or early 80's.

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That's a good start, keep us updated.

Omran

8. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    lookin good luve the landscape. [​IMG]

9. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    looking good!! I wish I had some land to build one.

10. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    nice job

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by