Score!! (duck coop!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kschwartz, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    A couple days ago I was going to begin my duck coop project and my parents had seen a big rabbit hutch on the side of the road for free. So they come pick me up and we bring it home. This thing is perfect for a duck coop and huge! Saved me lots of $$$ on wood!!

It is partly enclosed and partly fenced in. It is also insulated in the enclosed part, but some of the side insulation was chewed up pretty bad from the rabbits that used to live in it, so I took all of the bad insulation out. This set up is VERY well built and HEAVY (took 3 people to barely be able to lift it onto our trailer!) We had to do a little renovation in the enclosed part, because there was a "divider" in the middle so we tried to unscrew all of the wood and take down the little divider but it began to get too complicated because everything was screwed onto everything else and wasn't going to work. So we closed off the part with the divider (for storage, because you can access it through a latch door on the outside) and are adding on to the enclosed space and also made a new "entry door" for the ducks to get in the enclosed part.

Pics will be up when it's finished tomorrow!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    [​IMG] That is a score! [​IMG] Can't wait to see the pics!

3. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    That is pretty exciting!

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sounds promising! can't wait to see what you create.

5. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Awesome! I love seeing things re-purposed like this! [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Me 2 !

7. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    I can't wait to see pictures!! [​IMG]

8. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Sweeeeeeeet!!! That is a great score! Can't wait for pics![​IMG]

9. Kschwartz

Jun 15, 2011
    Sorry guys, pics will be up tomorrow! I ran into an incident with 2 HAWKS in my yard today! 15 yards away from the duck pen!!!! [​IMG]

Luckily my duckies were still okay!! [​IMG]

They moved into the coop today in the pen (which will now be undergoing a slight little project to get some netting over the pen due to the threat of hawks.) and are currently locked in it right now and safe from any hawks (or any other possible predators). The coop is pretty big for just the 2 of them (roughly 4'X6') but yet they refused to explore any part of it other than the screened/fenced in portion.

10. Kschwartz

Jun 15, 2011
    Pictures have been taken! Unfortunately my camera will not let me upload them to my computer [​IMG]

I do have a few pictures on my phone, but the lighting is bad and not very good quality, I'll see if I can at least get those up, although they don't exactly show what I did to the coop. oh well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by