SCORE!!! Free wood for me!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by walkswithdog, Sep 12, 2008.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I've been working on the coop, nearly done. Needed a bit more lumber for it and for the one totally enclosed yard. A neighbors ancient barn came down about 2 years ago and he recently finished bringing it down.

On an impulse I dropped by to ask him what he was doing with the old wood. He said some of it's good, some bad but if I wanted any of it I could have it all! Then he took me out back of his house, pointed to a neat pile of old tin, cedar boards and scrap lumber and said "want any of that?" I didn't pass out but you could have pushed me over with a feather. If half of what he has offered is sound I've every piece of wood I need for sheltering chickens, goats and turkeys!

I'm going to be one tired cripple by the time we get all that here but oh my oh my oh goody. And all for just asking.

Hooorrrraaaayyyyy!!!! Had to share.

2. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Yup, we did that [​IMG] My FIL tore down an old barn a couple years ago, and we salvaged every decent piece that we could to build my first coop.

Congratulations and happy building!!

3. KeyPenCoop

KeyPenCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Lakebay, WA
    [​IMG] Excellent SCORE!!! Congradulations to you!!! I know you will have fun. It's a lot of work(extra work) recycling, as I just learned, but the end result will have everybody happy. You cant go out and buy those kinds of materials, and your selters will be unique!![​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    We had a old barn that we tore down to replace it and gave everything away. Oh me oh my, I wish I had it now.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

We did the same thing....never hurts to ask, because if that one says no, he may know of someone who will give away old wood!

Great score! Nothing like free.... [​IMG]

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Today must be free scrap day!?!?

My husband just made 2 truck load trips today and is building me a coop, duck house and pond boardwalk/deck thing with it all! I was in heaven [​IMG]

I hope you take pictures when you're done! I'm having a field day getting coop ideas on here today [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by