Score! Neighbor sloppy harvester

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ole and Lena, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    My chickens think they've died and gone to heaven today. (one did, he's roasting right now) Dug potatos and fed them about a half quart of white grubs that were well fattened from my garden. Picked a few dried out forgotton ears of sweet corn and some immature squash the frost killed for them too.

Then the neighbor cut his field corn for silage and set the cutter WAY too high... SCORE... Didn't take the chickens long to figure out he had sheared half the cobs in half leaving piles of fresh corn kernels on the ground. Their crops are so full right now they hardly even run away from me (they know who does the butchering around here). A short walk along the dead furrow where the stalks were shortest yielded 2 big gunny sacks full of half-dry cobs to put away for fall/winter. Plan to put up as much free corn as I can to give my birds some good empty carb calories in the colder months.

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    I can remember as akid, our entire family would be out for what seemed liek weeks picking up corn from harvested fields. Mainly because we did not want to waste it, but it was used for our livestock.

I can walk fields now and hardly find a kernel! It amazes me how efficient our equipment is now adays!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by