SCORE!!!!!! Nice big thick styro coolers for bators!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pumpkinpup, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Lockedhearts and I drove to deliver a pair of birds I had sold to a fellow BYCer and we ended up getting two very nice big styrofoam coolers from the HoneyBaked store for free! We are going to try and make each of us a hatcher out of them [​IMG]

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Way to go!! I love free!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Awesome!!!

We used to get some heavy-duty styrofoam boxes from the fish store that we deal with. When I got back into chickens in '07, after a 20 year break, I decided to see if we could get a couple of them so I could try and make my own 'bator. No such luck! They have to return them now or else pay for them.

Dawn

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I will post pics of the build when we do this project!

5. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    i was able to get free off " freecycle" 6 of the larger omaha steak 2" coolers last weekend from a lady in town...next week it's off to Lowes for parts for making them all into home bators and hatchers!!

Once i get them made and test-run them, i'm passing three to the local kids club at church locally with some easy instructions, just to get some folks interested in self-sufficient hatching.

I am a pack-rat and always am on the look-out for stuff i can re-use. I have a box of lamp parts, plexiglass window frames , metal racks/pans, and nuts/bolts/screws,tape for the insides.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by