Score on new to me incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dogfish, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    With all of my turkeys, pheasants, and quail starting to lay I needed another incubator. I have a little giant, and I've had good success with that. Found another one on Craigslist the other day, just like mine, with the fan kit and egg turners, plus some other stuff including a digital thermometer/hygrometer. One year old, $95! Everything included would be twice that with tax. I pick it up in a few hours!

Thanks Cindy, if you are here.

Not as sexy as that lovely antique incubator, but still quite servicable to me.

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I too have two LGs, but be forewarned: my first and older LG you have to really turn the knob to get it to click on or off. Definitely easier and more reliable. My newer LG I got a few weeks ago I adjusted it the same way and let it be for a few hours. Went back to a temp of 117! This thing has a hair trigger! Also, the egg turner kept pushing the temp up by about 4 degrees. Just saying, while I love my LGs, watch the new one like a HAWK for a little bit and adjust gently! Good luck!

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Thanks for the heads up! My first one is an older model, maybe 20+ years old, and it holds temp very well. I've used it 3 times, but my FIL used it A LOT. I'll play with the new one for a few days until I know it holds steady before I set my first eggs in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: