Score!!! Super cheap bulk feed!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I went down to this place today to buy pasture spray and noticed they sell BULK layer feed--by the ton. One ton is $360.00 and it's their laying mix. The lady was very nice and showed me what it looks like & even gave me a little "sample" to bring home to my birds!

As it turns out...I'm currently feeding 100lbs every two weeks--so 200lbs per month. I pay $13.95 PER 50# bag PLUS whatever tax is. So I'm spending $55.80 + tax every month just on layer feed. So in one year, that's $669.60 (not including tax!)
    This bulk feed is .18 per pound. I can buy 200lbs for $36.00 and this stuff looks MUCH healthier, and has a lot of different things in it and they mix it themselves. You do have to buy a minimum of 200lbs at a time to get the .18 per pound rate--but that's no problem for me...I'm just tickled that I found such a good price on feed--FINALLY and it will save me $$ in the long run!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. dchickenman

dchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Lucky you. Congrats![​IMG]

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    [​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Any way to save big $$ on feed is always a plus since it is the biggest expenditure when keeping chickens.

AL

5. Rare Feathers Farm

I know! I'm so happy!

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Now, if I can just get my husband to build me a few more coops, I'd be set! LOL

7. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    jealous!

I covet your find

8. Rare Feathers Farm

I found this place by accident--and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't find it sooner! You should look around and maybe you'll find a similar place?

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I go through 2500lbs of chicken food a month, I'm so glad I have a feed mill near me too.

10. PJCluck

PJCluck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Living Free in NH
    Thanks for the pounds-per-month figures - but how many chickens do you have? (all of you who posted your quantities) I am trying to figure out feed now, before I get my first batch of layers. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by