Score!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the_great_snag, Apr 10, 2009.

1. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Hello Everyone,

Well I have been planning to order my chicks sometime in teh next couple weeks here. Money has been tight due to my being off work sick for the past several weeks.

Anyway, I took a trip today to pick up my daughter, and on the way back we hit a feed store along the highway. They had several brooders full of Cackle chicks.

I was too slow to get any EE's, as another customer was cleaning them out, but I did manage to buy 4 cornish x rocks for my daughter to enjoy for Easter. We are looking forward to watching them grow over the next few weeks.

I will try to post pics tomorrow. So far, in spite of a 3 hour car trip, they seem to be doing great, eating, drinking and cheeping away! [​IMG]

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Cool!
    Good Luck with them!

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Good luck [​IMG] Can't wait to see those pictures!

4. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Just a word of caution, cornish x rocks are meat birds and do not live long. They are meant to be put in the freezer by 12 weeks old at the latest. They will grow super fast and become too heavy for their own legs. They are also prone to heart problems. I just want to bring this up in case you didn't realize. I would hate to see you and your daughter become too attached to the little meaties.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

I also agree. You might want to think twice unless you intended this. Here is another thread that an owner started because she also had some meaties, didn't know that they were whe she got them, that she loved. She put them on a regulated diet and aspirin to prolong their lives.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=148587

Here ya go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by