Score!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by froggie71, Jun 24, 2010.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Called our local supermarket and asked if they had any old greens they would be getting rid of, and they said sure. Got 2 huge boxes, including at least 9 full heads of lettuce and 2 heads of cabbage. They threw in 2 large bags of carrots , a bag of shredded cole slaw makings, sliced apples, parsley and more I haven't even seen yet [​IMG] The chickens, ducks, geese and guineas are having a field day [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Dang, that is a SCORE!!!

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Im calling the super market!!!!!!!!!

4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Hope you get as lucky as I did. There was even more lettuce in the other box, some peas, Cauliflower and more. I still can't get over how much we were given.

5. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Good for you!!!! I have tried all my grocery stores and was told no. It is a liability for them in case I eat the overripe food, I said I would sign something stating it was not for human consumption but they still cant do it.

6. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    I am surprised and very happy that they would give it to you. [​IMG]

Our coop gives away the "non food" part of the vegetables (like carrot tops and such), but not sure if they do overripe stuff too. Never used it, for my three girls I will have plenty myself [​IMG]

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    They wouldn't allow us to get veggies or fruit, but the bread place lets you take old french bread and loaves if you come by at the end of the business day. THEY LOVE IT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by