Scottish eggs Rock!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by flowerchild59, Jun 12, 2011.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    We had these the other night for dinner and they were awesome.

Ingredients
    - 6 hard-boiled eggs
    - 1 lb. ground breafast sausage
    - 1 cup breadcrumbs
    - 1 Tsp. salt
    - 1 Tsp. pepper
    - 2 eggs, beaten
    - 1/2 cup flour
    - Oil for frying

Pre-prep prep~~Heat the frying oil to a temperature of 325-350 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel the hard-boiled eggs. Mix the salt and pepper with the breadcrumbs.~~

Roll the eggs in the flour. Take a small handful of the sausage and wrap it around the egg, completely covering it. Do this for all the hard-cooked eggs. Dip the sausage-wrapped eggs in the beaten eggs and then roll in the breadcrumbs.

Fry in the hot oil for 5-6 minutes. Be careful not to burn, but you want to make sure the sausage gets cooked through and that the heat is enough to reach the core of the egg.

We made a home made mayonaise to dip and some good brown mustard. Yummy.

I like garlic so placed a pickled clove into the middle. Yummy.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I LOVE them, I usually bake them now. Too many pounds, ya know!

I serve with some chutney or Tiger brand Hot Sauce on the side, can't wait to try the garlic in the center! [​IMG]

One itty bitty thing- they're called Scotch Eggs, not Scottish Eggs. I have a dear friend in Scotland who had to teach me that stuff! [​IMG] She says whiskey and eggs are called Scotch- everything else is Scottish. [​IMG]

Thanks for posting, I even have some hot sausage in the refrigerator! Cheers!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds de-lish [​IMG]

Side dish of brisket, right Ranchy? [​IMG]

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Scotch Eggs are not named because they have anything to do with Scotland, they are actually an English invention. To "scotch" means to wrap in sausagemeat and breadcrumbs in preparation for frying. So technically they should be called Scotched Eggs. [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Dang, talk about muddying the water! Flowerchild59, that's the Scottish friend I was talking about, I guess her Ranchy Radar was on. I can't get away wit nuttin these days. [​IMG]

Then again, maybe we could wrap her in sausage and deep fry her........... nah, too old and chewy.......

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by