Scottsdale, want to get started!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by MandyFitch, Aug 17, 2013.

1. MandyFitch

MandyFitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Hi there,

I'm a city girl, new to Scottsdale (and Arizona,) and very interested in raising my own chickens. I've always had pets and my chickens will definitely be pets. I won't be eating them but I do love farm fresh eggs!

I have a coop in mind and I'd like to know if locals approve. Will this get me through summer and winter? Do I need some portion of the coop to have four walls for protection from the elements?

Also, I intend to let the girls range around a portion of the yard. Unfortunately, what isn't patio or pool is mostly (relatively lovely) gravel. There are lots of palms and some fruit trees and bushes but no where is there just open dirt to peck at. Would covering their area with straw help at all? Could I fill a baby pool with dirt for them to bathe in?

Obviously I'm also concerned about the heat. I will read a book about raising chickens but I'm particularly concerned with issues pertaining to our area so I'm glad to receive any helpful advice.

Thanks so much and am looking forward to being a part of the BYC community.

Mandy[​IMG]

2. Welcome Mandy

The open air coop in the picture is tried and tested and will work in the valley just fine. Good coop. I would not close this coop in. Leave it as is and it will work. Here is one I used in Buckeye.
    [​IMG]

You will NEED SHADE. The chickens will fling your rocks around to get to the cool dirt below. I lived in the valley and learned a few things about the heat. Shade is so important. Keeping them away from the fences (block walls) is important as they radiate heat late into the night. Water Water Water. The more trees and shrubs you have the better.

Wish ya the best.

3. MandyFitch

Aug 9, 2013
    Thank you so much. I tried to get the coop today as suddenly I had access to a truck but I will have to try again this week. Right now I'm planning what color to paint it. My six year old daughter insists on magenta. She also wants a pegasus painted on the side. I'm sensing future battles...

Do you have any advice on where to get pullets? Part of me wants to get baby chick to raise but then I won't have eggs until January? Still, I think that is probably the way to go.

I'd love to read a blog of some local person's experience with raising chickens. Know of any?

Thanks again!
    Mandy

4. You have some options. You can still order from a hatchery if you prefer. Locally you have some options also. There are some campine breeders in your area if that is what you prefer. You can always use Craigslist or even this site to find locals who sell. Also Chicks come early in to the feed stores in the Phoenix area, like late January.

5. MandyFitch

Aug 9, 2013
    So I'm thinking 2 Americaunas, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 black stars and 2 black copper marans. I can ger the first two types locally (Hatchbawks) but would appreciate recommendations for the last two. I think I just want pullets but could be convinced otherwise... Hint hint :)

Thoughts?

6. Dianna Sue

Dianna Sue New Egg

Dec 23, 2013
    Arizona
    I just joined, but I hope you didnt order from hatchbawks, I ordered 3 roosters from them to go with my flock of hens, I got 3 hens instead and was guarenteed they were roosters. paying double the price from anyplace else plus the gas to drive from Globe put the cost at right around $30. per chick I am not just disappointed I am bent 6 ways from Sunday I cant get a response from them

7. MandyFitch

Aug 9, 2013
    Wow! That sucks. You should write this up as a review.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by