Scouring, apathetic laying hen

emmasophia

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 27, 2013
One of my young layers (not currently in lay) is suddenly (since yesterday evenig) apathetic and scouring badly. She has fluffed up feathers and won't roost on the pole, but her eyes are clear and her comb a good colour. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong with her or how I might treat her please?

Welcome to BYC. By scouring, I think you mean having diarrhea? If she also is not eating, I might suspect coccidiosis. I she new to your property or have you added other birds recently? Older hens are usually immune to coccidia on the property by 5 months unless a new strain has been brought in. Amprollium (Corid or Coxoid) is the treatment for 5 days. Has she been wormed and have you checked for mites and lice?

Hi, she is about a year old now and has been here since point of lay with no additions to the flock since then. Yes, she has a shitty bottom and isn't really eating but is scratching/pecking a little (she is separated from the flock and is in a stable with some woodshavings on the floor...

Emma

Back
Top Bottom