scovie drake has insides coming out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rlo, Jan 25, 2010.

1. rlo

rlo New Egg

Dec 28, 2009
    Pierceton
    my scovie drake was perfectly fine at 3:00, when i went out to put everyone back into the run at 5:30 he was off by himself, when i went over to him i noticed that it looks like his insides are coming out his rear end...has anyone seen this before? there is blood, and i seperated him from the rest of the flock (it's not a lot of blood, just a few drops) should i try to put it back in him? help

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I would call the vet or somebody with vet skills, It sounds like a prolapse, I don't know much about them just what they are and have seen a few ewe sheep and a steer with them, I have had a few chickens hatch with abdominal prolapses but they either went away as the bird grew or the baby would bleed to death if it got scratched on the wire floor of my bator. Sounds like a rectal prolapse you're dealing with and will probably need to be put back in and a couple stitches to hold it all there.
    Hope you get through it.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My first choice, if possible, is to get immediate vet care. If that is not possible, you can push them gently back inside. You can even put prep H on it and them push back in. Do not use prep H with pain killer tho. He needs to be kept quiet and seperated from the rest. If you can bring him in the house and keep him in a bathroom or the tub, I would. Good luck.

4. rlo

rlo New Egg

Dec 28, 2009
    Pierceton
    Thank you everyone!

5. ChickenWhisperer1983

ChickenWhisperer1983 New Egg

Jan 25, 2010
    Hello. I was an ER vet tech for two years. I also have many years experience with poultry. What your drake has going on is called a Rectal Prolapse. The term rectum refers to the lowest 12-15 centimeters of the large intestine. The rectum is located just above the picky canal. Normally, the rectum is securely attached. Rectum prolapse means it slips or falls out of place (This is what you are seeing) It is life threatening, he needs to be seen by a vet, if you don't have the funds to save him, they can at least end his suffering. It's a very serious condition! I have seen this happen to cats and it is an emergency. Hope this helps you, good luck. Im sorry your poor guy is having that problem, its aweful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by