Scovie Eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gone-Ducky, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Gone-Ducky

Gone-Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Arizona
    So I live in AZ I have four 7month old scovie hens and no eggs yet. When do they normaly lay? Im sure this question is asked alot but no trace of an egg they are alowed to roam but i've searched and no eggs. Any advice? thanks SO MUCH! [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:any where from 5 months on but 6mos. is the norm i think. What are you feeding? they can hide them pretty good too. I have had to put chicken wire and hardware cloth over any lil nook and cranny around our place. [​IMG]

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I'm not sure if it matters since you live where it is warm year-round, but mine lay seasonally. I live in Maine and it gets really cold during the winter. Mine typically start to lay in April and generally stop in September/ October.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I had this issue last fall. I had gotten a pair of muscovies and several weeks later. No eggs, my friends were getting loads if them. Well I.put them on the pond in march and now I have 70. They will make nest and then cover the eggs when they get off the nest. Very clever they are.

5. Gone-Ducky

Gone-Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Arizona
    thanks everyone i'll keep looking! I hope to have some eggs soon!!!

6. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Oh yeah, once they make a nest a lay a certain number of eggs they will go broody. If you disturb the nest before they start laying about 5-6 in them they will abandon the nest and start a new one somewhere else. At least mine did.

7. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    D'Angelo N Va. :

I had this issue last fall. I had gotten a pair of muscovies and several weeks later. No eggs, my friends were getting loads if them. Well I.put them on the pond in march and now I have 70. They will make nest and then cover the eggs when they get off the nest. Very clever they are.

You have 70 Muscovies! [​IMG] How many did you start with?​

8. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:You have 70 Muscovies! [​IMG] How many did you start with?

Well I brought 2 last September and they did nothing, I told one of my customers who said there ducks were carrying on bug time so he gave me 2 more females. So I started out with those 4... All 3 females have hatched out 2 clutches since June.

9. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Wow!! Thanks for the warning. I won't be letting my hens free range after hearing that. I'd go broke feeding 70 ducks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  10. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:Yeah well when u see that first set of babies looking so cute and following behind mommy duck and the dad not too far, you will change your mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by