1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

scovies not getting on with other ducks. Why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bufforp89, Oct 21, 2009.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Is it normal for scovies to not socialize with my other breed of duck? I have had mine for a few months now and they tend to spend time in their own group instead of with the other ducks and geese. I thought at first that maybe the breeder I got them from had only scovies but he has all kinds of ducks and they are all raised together. Is this normal? Will any babies that they have next year mingle with the other ducks?

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    May I ask what colors your ducks are? My ducks like to stay in flocks of the same color. Also, Scovies are related more to geese in DNA so the are sort of like our own little dinasours. This can make them a little picky in the friend department sometimes.

3. bufforp89

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    My scovies are black and white and my khakis are brown. I had no idea that they prefer their own color?!? So if I add more regular ducks (as in not muscovys) to my flock of another different color and breed is it likley that they will keep to themselves like the scovies?

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My scovies always kept to themselves.

We just thought they were stuck up. [​IMG]

5. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    My scovies will also keep to themselves most of the time. Once in a while they will wander along with the other ducks but for the most part my 7 scovies are off by themselves. They are much calmer than my other ducks and love to come up on my deck and look into the window to see what I am doing. [​IMG]

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ducks are kind or racist sometimes , not to put it too bluntly. Irecently found out from people on here that they can see in color! Thats why mine seem to stay in two seperate groups. I mean most of the time they do mingle when i first let them out and when i put them back in but other than that alot of the time i find them in seperate groups. but as the other two put it, muscovies do act "stuck up" [​IMG]

7. bufforp89

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Well that explains alot. They have never been keen on being with the others. Right now the khakis and geese are in my very, very overgrown garden with all 3 of their pools filled up. Its a duck paradise out there! Lots of stuff to root around in and over an acre of space to wander. The scovies are sitting in the dirt pen doing nothing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by