Scovy duckling question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zook, Nov 1, 2013.

1. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    My wife is presently nursing a 1 week old Scovy duckling here in the house.

Looking a little further ahead, we are wondering when it would be appropriate to introduce the little ducky to the other older ducks outside.

Keeping in mind that winter is upon us, we want the little guy to be able to transition well into his new crib with his real peeps. lol [​IMG] To be accepted and take his/her place without too much stress is our main concern...

Any suggestions on timing and process of introducing?

Thank you in advance [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Going to be hard to do if cold out side. When I had a lone duckling inside it was June so I would take him outside a lot during the day so he could be with the other ducks with me close by to keep an eye on things. Going to be hard to do if it's extremely cold outside where you are, can you bring another duckling inside for company and when you have some warmish days take them both out for some time with the others. When you mean crib is this like a brooder where just the sibs are hanging out? or is this all the flock including adults.

3. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yes, thank you. I think as the little guy gets somewhat older we will introduce him to a smaller female adult. We will keep watch on them closely and see how they adjust. Right now we have a pen (crib) outside where we house a few females and a drake. All of them older and no other ducklings. We will presently be moving them to the barn for winter coverage and hopefully the little duckling will eventually join them.

I think we will take him outside on much warmer days but definitely not until he is older - his feathers are in.

Right now he is comfy and cozy being spoiled inside the house and spends time following my wife everywhere and sitting on her shoulder.

Thank you for your advice and support.[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Look forward in hearing how it goes, and I so remember that experience with our little one, I was just like mama duck to him, yep turned out to be a drake too. lol Such an awesome time though when my dh and I got to be his parents. Enjoy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by