Scracth Grains

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by StaatsFarms, Oct 13, 2009.

1. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have 13 17 week old chickens... Is it too early to give scratch grains to them??? also should I put it in another "feeder" for them or should I just throw it down on the ground??? hence the name "scratch grains"... How much should I give them each day??? sorry for the multiple questions I am new at this whole chicken thing!!!

2. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    ANYONE??? just lookin for opinions here

3. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I give scratch all the time to all little ones.... especially when it gets cooler. Im feeding some to 2-3 month olds now.

*****Just make sure they have grit to grind it up.*****

I dont give it as a feed, but I toss a few handfuls in once or twice a day...to my serama pens so its all over the ground.

Its about all my free rangers get in the summer. I feed them feed every three days or so, but we have a lot of land and bugs so they get scratch tossed whenever Im outside. They are all fat and healthy!

4. sotelomary

sotelomary Chillin' With My Peeps

There are two types of scratch. Chick scratch and regular scratch. I have been giving chick scratch (it's cut finer) to my pullets since they were about 15 weeks old.

Scratch is high in calories and should be given as a treat and not as their regular every day feed. You don't want to have obese chickens which makes them more prone to health issues.

I have 5 pullets (21 weeks) and throw about 4 handfuls on the ground every day. They love it and go crazy!

Hopes this helps,
    Mary

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  5. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I give scratch to my chicks only as a treat on cold nights before putting them to bed. Just a handful.

MIne are 6 weeks and have done this 3 times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by