Scraggly wing feathers?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by fastrnrik, Oct 3, 2012.

1. fastrnrik

fastrnrik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    One of our geese is kind of homely LOL. It is a toulouse looking, younger looking goose, fully grown, but not as big as the "big" geese. Anyway, the feathers on the ends of his wings stick straight out like airplane wings. I just figured the robust little spanish lady who caught him with a net when I bought him rumpled them up and it it would fix itself, either through normal use & grooming or after a molt. Well, it has been several months and the poor homely guy (or girl) still looks like an airplane. It doesn't bother me at all, I was really just curious if it was always going to look like that? I ask because I went to a farm last weekend that had large geese, and several of them had wacky feathers, so it made me think it was just how some of them are?. Just wondering. Thank you.

2. Ana Tidae

Ana Tidae Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Sounds like angel wing. There are several threads here about it.

3. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    It does sound like angel wing to me too. I haven't seen it myself but the airplane wings are a common description. If its had this going on for months it would be too late to treat it but, as I understand it, it won't bother the bird. You'll just have an airplane goose for its entire life. Perhaps someone else who has more info on angel wing disorder can comment and give tips here.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Does sound to be angel wing, too late too treat, shouldn't be used for breeding or showing. Thought to be caused by genetics, dietary, or a combination of both.

5. fastrnrik

fastrnrik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    I googled it and that seems what it is. It was like that when I got it. We don't breed them or show them. We just have them as pets and enjoy watching them in the pond. It doesn't seem to bother him. I was rally just curious. Thanks for the info.

6. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Angel wing can be either genetic or too much protien in the feed as the gosling is growing or both. In sebbies we feed high protien for the first 3 weeks of growing then slowly change the feed over to a lower protien feed. This is to help the wings from going into angel wing.
    Yes, way too late to tape the wings....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by