1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scrambbled Eggs??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NCchicken, Oct 7, 2010.

1. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    So I have read on here numerous times that a good source of protein to give your chickens is their eggs scrambled up. Is this really true? I just find it odd. I have already done it twice, my chickens just go crazy over them, but other people I have told think I am crazy and that it is cannibalizm and now I'm second guessing myself. [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Nothing at all wrong with it. It's a good source of protein for them, and most chickens love eggs. Just be sure you cook them and don't give them raw. They can eat them raw, but it might give them a taste for it, and they could start eating the eggs they lay. It's not cannibalism. The eggs aren't developed. And chickens will eat just about anything, including chicken meat. Feed the eggs, and let your chickens enjoy them! It's a good way to use up surplus eggs that you can't finish up.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Heck...I even feed my chickens CHICKEN...lol (I tell them it's pork though [​IMG]). Yeah, it sounds off, but egg and meat are huge sources of protein, so I give my girls both (fish, especially salmon, is great too).

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    Phew...thanks everyone! I feel so much better now! [​IMG] Now, on to ignoring all those silly non chicken owner people who are disgusted with me feeding my chickens scrambled eggs. But my husband still thinks it's disgusting and refuses to be any part of it though.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Heck, my chickens have watched us barbeque chicken and still go crazy for it. [​IMG]

7. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    [​IMG]

8. GoldenCometLover

GoldenCometLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    Hi - I have a silly question I suppose - I finally got my first egg yesterday (yeah!!!) but since my girls were on duramycin until Thursday of last week, cannot use it - two week wait period (right?) [​IMG] But can I scramble it up and feed it back to my girls? [​IMG]
    I would really hate to chuck my first egg... [​IMG]

9. shareverwonder

shareverwonder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    My girls watch me butcher the meaties and try like heck to get the guts [​IMG]

We through the guts in the fire pit and burn them, but them darn girls still try to get them. They do love eggs with cheese and they even ate bbq chicken off the leg bone.

10. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Quote:blow the first egg. save the shell and scramble the egg for the dog or the chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by