Scrambled eggs... How many and often for sick hen

BlazingColours

Chirping
Jan 2, 2019
Hen not thriving and lethargic. Picking food but not really eating well. Drinking water ok. Lost some weight over last week. All other hens are normal and no issues.

Tried scrambled eggs today and she loved it. Added some probiotic powder and electro. powder to eggs. How many times a day and how many eggs would one feed an average size hen that is 1.5 yrs old.

Honestly, I would say give her as much as she'll eat; she needs as much nourishment as she can get right now and she won't eat more than she needs. Try to mix it in with other things like you have been doing to make sure she's not just eating eggs. Good luck, and keep us updated!

Ok, thanks. Fed it to her 2x now and cooked up 2 eggs. She did eat some watermelon too but I dont think there is much in that for her. She is weak and wobbly but still gets around in and out and watched her take her time thinking about how to get up on the roost this evening but she did manage ok. Gave her Nutri Drench for poultry too this afternoon.

Fed it to her 2x now and cooked up 2 eggs.
Diagnosing what is causing the lethargy is key... eggs are good in moderation.. loaded with nutrients and easy to digest. However they are 34% protein and a whopping 64% fat... which could lead to a whole host of other problems.

So When was the last time your hen laid an egg? Is she pooping? What does it look like?Are you able to check her crop and see if it is empty in the morning before she has access to feed and water? What is your regular feed? How many others in the flock? Current weather? Ever worm or have a vet you can take a fecal float to? What breed is she? Any recent addition to your flock? Can you use a flashlight and check after dark for parasites like lice/mites. Makes it easy to see them running away. Also get a good look at her vent, is it clean or caked, regular flesh colored or swollen or angry looking? Is she staying with the flock when they forage or where is she hanging out at?

Adding your general location to your profile can help others to make the best suggestion possible at a glance. ;)

Poultry nutri drench has some amino acids in addition the vitamins and such. It's really one of the best supplement products on the market and a good choice if a boost is needed. I suggest avoiding tossing all kinds of fixes at what you aren't sure of as far as herbal remedies and such and work to get to the roost cause instead of possibly masking symptom or adding to them. Sounds like you have done just about all you can as far as support goes! Answering the questions might help us get clues so we can try and help our best to. :fl

Diagnosing what is causing the lethargy is key... eggs are good in moderation.. loaded with nutrients and easy to digest. However they are 34% protein and a whopping 64% fat... which could lead to a whole host of other problems.

So When was the last time your hen laid an egg? **8 hens with her. She lays blue eggs as do 2 others. No blue eggs in about a week. Tough to tell when she did.

Is she pooping? **What does it look like? Very watery. I assume because she has not been eating much and just drinking with bit of nibbles.

Are you able to check her crop and see if it is empty in the morning before she has access to feed and water? **Can do if I get up earlier then they do ;) It was full this evening after 2nd egg mash.

What is your regular feed? **Mega Layer pellet. Black oil sunflower seeds were added about 3 weeks ago. They (1 Roo and 8 hens) get about 3 small hand fulls throughout the day added around the feeder and I mix some into the feed.

How many others in the flock? **9

Current weather? **Coolish (14 night and tops in lows 20s duing day).

Ever worm or have a vet you can take a fecal float to? **Been doing DiamT. earth in feed every couple weeks. Not given an actual dewormer.

What breed is she? **Cream crest Legbar

Any recent addition to your flock? **No. New hens in another barn about 2 weeks ago. No contact at all. Those hens have been laying well and very healthy since arrival.

Can you use a flashlight and check after dark for parasites like lice/mites. **Not seen anything when looking but not looked in dark with flashlight. Can try that tomorrow.

Also get a good look at her vent, is it clean or caked, regular flesh colored or swollen or angry looking? **Looks normal.

Is she staying with the flock when they forage or where is she hanging out at? **Goes out with them in the morning to a very large grass run. Its all grass with some sand in a couple spots. No mud or muck. She was in the coop mid day pecking around the feeder by herself. Not in the feeder though, just the small pieces around it.

Adding your general location to your profile can help others to make the best suggestion possible at a glance. ;) **Ontario Canada.

Poultry nutri drench has some amino acids in addition the vitamins and such. It's really one of the best supplement products on the market and a good choice if a boost is needed. **I did give her some of this today directly into mouth. She took it well.

I suggest avoiding tossing all kinds of fixes at what you aren't sure of as far as herbal remedies and such and work to get to the roost cause instead of possibly masking symptom or adding to them. Sounds like you have done just about all you can as far as support goes! Answering the questions might help us get clues so we can try and help our best to. :fl

Answers in quote above... Thanks for input!

Hen not thriving and lethargic. Picking food but not really eating well. Drinking water ok. Lost some weight over last week. size hen that is 1.5 yrs old.
Ok, thanks. Fed it to her 2x now and cooked up 2 eggs. She did eat some watermelon too but I dont think there is much in that for her. She is weak and wobbly but still gets around in and out and watched her take her time thinking about how to get up on the roost this evening but she did manage ok. Gave her Nutri Drench for poultry too this afternoon.
When is the last time she laid an egg?
Any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?
Is her crop empty completely in the mornings?
Photos of your hen and her poop may be helpful.

She's wobbly, lethargic, having trouble getting onto the roost. Ime, I would be looking at reproductive problems unless she's laying normal hard shelled eggs consistently.

When is the last time she laid an egg?
Any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?
Is her crop empty completely in the mornings?
Photos of your hen and her poop may be helpful.

She's wobbly, lethargic, having trouble getting onto the roost. Ime, I would be looking at reproductive problems unless she's laying normal hard shelled eggs consistently.
Abdomen seems small and empty. Not much in it from what I can feel. She is light. I will check her crop trmw morning early and see. Ive not checked that. She is not laying and has not in a couple weeks. No blue eggs in coop and she lays blue. Ive not separated her at this point as none of the other pick on her. When she poops its very watery. Not much at all to it other than liquid so cant really get a pict of that unless I have her out on cardboard or something as you would see nothing on the bedding.

There's a chance it could be coccidiosis to! I say, administer Corid!
IMG_20190613_174008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom