SCRAP COOP

LeggyLeghorn

Songster
May 2, 2019
Co. Waterford Ireland
I made this coop with recycled timber. scrap. screws, felt for the roof and two 4x8 MDF board is what i had to purchase. I had a load of fencing posts so i decided to design something that utilised what i had the most of. The chicken wire was left behind in the field so i was set there.

the attached little auxiliary run i made for when i introduce new birds. I have had no need to use it yet, so it looks unfinished, which it is! The coop is accessed on the side, where i split the roof in two and placed on hinges. this is how i access the coop to clean and collect eggs. I made nesting bays, not boxes, and the birds seem okay with this.

the roof is four years old and needs to be replaced which i will do this summer. when i made the coop, i included ventilation by leaving a gap where the roof meets the sides. about a 1/4 inch.

the coop is protected by the stone wall facing west and north. the birds free range all day on three acres.

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0420 (1).JPG

IMG_0421 (1).JPG

IMG_0419 (2).JPG

IMG_0426 (1).JPG

IMG_2325 (1).JPG

Last edited:
My compliments on re-using materials to build your set-up. We are finishing up a small coop, also using recycled components. However, you outdid us -- we had to buy a box of screws! Otherwise, it's all leftover stuff. While having livestock confinement farms nearby is not a great thing, while the latest one was being built, the builders let us salvage whatever we wanted from the Dumpster bins. Consequently, we ended up with a lot of easily cleanable, laminate plywood for our coop.

I've been to County Waterford -- many years ago. Lovely area. And, nice horses you have there!

salvage is the way to go. it is there, every where, and doing the environment a favour. I did buy screws! but i just remembered the the felt was given to me by a farmer friend. :)

the horses belong to a friend. cobs. they are both in their early 20's. i have them in the field to keep the grass down and to fertilize.

I enjoy trying to re-use as much as possible. there is so much "stuff" out there. great that the builders let you dumpster dive. I built my timber shed, firewood, with used pallets. works really well.

cant image it is very nice with the livestock confinement. wish some things in farming could be different.

co waterford is a beautiful place and so is iowa! i was born in Ames, Iowa.

Back
Top Bottom