Scraps for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clueless chic, Mar 10, 2014.

1. clueless chic

clueless chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    NE Arkansas
    I was wondering if you can give chicks scraps. If so, do they have to be a certain age? What kind of stuff can you give them? What kind of stuff should I stay away from?

2. djpal15

djpal15 New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Tracy, Ca
  3. clueless chic

clueless chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    NE Arkansas
    Thanks djpal15!! I know chickens can have most foods we eat I was just making sure that chicks can too. I don't want to give them something that will end up hurting them. They are only 3 weeks old so they are pretty young.

4. djpal15

djpal15 New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Tracy, Ca
    Clueless,

Gotcha, I'm new to this and learning as I go. I would think that most on that list can apply to chicks as well but on a much smaller scale obviously. I've had success with giving mine small amounts of fine cut leafy greens, grass, mushy banana and smashed hard boiled egg. Mine are also about 3 weeks. I've been able to take them out in the yard several times throughout the day so they can get some bits of grit in their system. So far so good...Interested to see what others chime in with. Good luck!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If fed anything other than chick feed, they need grit too......either by providing it in a dish or exposing them to the dirt outside in the yard (take them out or bring some dirt in).
    Start feeding 'treats' in small quantities.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  6. sacchick

sacchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento,CA
    My Coop
    I have a treat ball that I use for greens. I use dried mealworms for hand feeding, and I dig up worms in the yard for them. Also a chunk of dirt with worms so they have to dig for it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by