scratch as quail food

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickbird, Nov 6, 2011.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    can adult quails be fed scratch along with their regular food?

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    It kinda depends on the species, and is usually considered a "TREAT", because it is protein deficient, and way high in fat. Coturnix don't even like it, unless they are starved to death.

3. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Try a mixture of wild bird food. I have a covey of about 50 California quail that clean up under my bird feeders daily

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I make a mix of scratch, cracked corn, wild finch food, sunflower chip hearts, parakeet or cockatiel molting and conditioning food and cockatiel fruit and nut mix all together to make a wonderful treat for them. They get a handful everyday along with their crumbles. Gives them a variety to their diet. Make sure to offer grit if you offer seeds.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:X2! Finch seeds mixed with GBS crumbles is a good combo. There is no corn in the finch seeds.

Like Joe said, they really won't touch the big chunks. Scratch is made for chicken to scratch the ground and stir the ground. You are not supposed to feed more that 10% of their diet (it's on the feed tag). Birds can stop laying due to too much fat deposits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by