1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scratch feed causing black poop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fussy8, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    My hens were laying eggs that had calcium spots all over them. So we started doing half scratch and half calcium feed. it stopped the spots but now they are pooping BLACK TAR!!!! It looks and smells horrific [​IMG] !!! Yuck could it been the scratch? also they are drinking regularly but the water just gets dirt in it because of the muddy weather! (tryed changing it but it does not help the situation!) [​IMG]

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I can't help you with the scratch/poop question, maybe some one more experienced will come along and be able to answer that one.
    I had the regular waterer and got so fed up of them constantly getting dirt and shavings in it so i bought from ebay 2 waterer cups, they only cost me a few £ with the attachments and small hoses to fit it, i got a 10L drum, fitted it all up and i could not be happier, no more mess. I would suggest you stand your waterer on bricks or some sort of block to stop them getting it dirty all the time.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hi. What do you mean by "calcium feed"?

Hens should have a layer feed (I actually used game bird maintenance because of also having a roo), with oyster shell in a separate container available at all times. Scratch may be used as a treat but not as a mainstay of their diet.

No matter what, keep water freshly changed very often (I did twice daily, some would say that's over board, but once daily wouldn;t be too much).

JJ

4. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    thank you for the water suggestion marlene! and jjthink i call it calcium feed but it really is layer feed thank you for the suggestions as well!!

5. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
  6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Have you elevated their water? Having it at the level of the shortest chicken in the flock keeps a lot of mess out of the water. You could also try the nipples for water.

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:Does your scratch have a lot of barley? Too much barley can cause problems.

8. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I've noticed darker poop when I give scratch. Make sure chicken feed makes up the majority of their daily food and try giving scratch as more of a treat.

9. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    Hmm... this morning when I cleaned up the coop poop I noticed one black poop. Didn't notice an odor really but I did notice how dark it was... I have been giving fresh spinach the last few mornings. I figured it was from that. ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by