Scratch grain?

Nov 25, 2020
Northeast Mississippi,USA
Hi everyone. I now have a mixed rooster hen flock on top of my layer hens. I know they need scratch grain instead of layer pellets because the calcium in layer pellets is too high for the roosters.
I went and bought a bag of scratch grain and a bag of ground oyster shells for their feed. I was shocked and saddened to open the scratch grain and find it was just whole corn. The last time I had a mixed flock the feed I bought was a mixed grain with crushed corn added. My question is, Is the whole corn enough with the oyster shell for the hens or should i try to find a bag of the mixed grain scratch next time i buy?

Thank you! I knew it wasn't the best option. I will buy an all flock feed next time. For the time being I will do a homemade mix of all of the feeds I have so it isn't wasted.
I currently feed my layers pellets and a seed mix I buy for my song birds. It is low in millet and milo because they are usually wasted by my song birds. Thanks again!

I agree with not wasting the feed and mixing to use it up. You might want to supplement with a bit of additional protein while doing this, since the scratch is low protein and the layer pellet is probably only 16%, which is sufficient but gets "diluted" by the scratch.

Anything from worms to bugs to mealworms to meat scraps from your kitchen will give a little protein boost.

Thank you! I knew it wasn't the best option. I will buy an all flock feed next time. For the time being I will do a homemade mix of all of the feeds I have so it isn't wasted.
I currently feed my layers pellets and a seed mix I buy for my song birds. It is low in millet and milo because they are usually wasted by my song birds. Thanks again!
Just an FYI, don’t mix the scratch grains with the food. Offer it once a day as a treat (a small amount, a few tablespoons per bird). If you mix it with their food, they will favor it and pick it out and not get the proper nutrition they need.

Hi everyone. I now have a mixed rooster hen flock on top of my layer hens. I know they need scratch grain instead of layer pellets because the calcium in layer pellets is too high for the roosters.
I went and bought a bag of scratch grain and a bag of ground oyster shells for their feed. I was shocked and saddened to open the scratch grain and find it was just whole corn. The last time I had a mixed flock the feed I bought was a mixed grain with crushed corn added. My question is, Is the whole corn enough with the oyster shell for the hens or should i try to find a bag of the mixed grain scratch next time i buy?
I usually mix flock raiser and layer pellets together with corn and sunflower seeds. They get tuna can or cat food once a week and almost once a day leftover dinner meat scrapes or leftover veggies. When its hot they get a big juicy watermelon all to there selves and frozen fruits.

I usually mix flock raiser and layer pellets together with corn and sunflower seeds. They get tuna can or cat food once a week and almost once a day leftover dinner meat scrapes or leftover veggies. When its hot they get a big juicy watermelon all to there selves and frozen fruits.
Is the corn whole or are the corn kernels broken?

Back
Top Bottom