1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scratch or cracked corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KingJamesIV, Jan 18, 2011.

1. KingJamesIV

KingJamesIV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Indiana Pa
    I have 10 chickens and when I get home from work and collect the eggs I usually throw scratch on the ground for them. I was looking at what scratch is made of and it is pretty much just millet and cracked corn. Am I gaining anything from the millet or can I just buy cracked corn. Its about 2 dollars cheaper a bag. I'm not trying to be be stingy but anywhere we can save a buck is important. Any thoughts?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since it is just a treat, and if your hens like the corn, no problem. You aren't trying to raise them on it anyhow. Such things should not compose more than a tiny fraction of their diet anyhow.

Now, that said, all scratch isn't the same. This varies GREATLY from one feed packager to another. Some mixed grains called scratch are actually an excellent blend of 5 or 6 grains and have better than average nutritional value on the tag. More commonly, scratch isn't much more than 8 percent protein, a give away that it is merely cheap carbs.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Fred's Hens :

Since it is just a treat, and if your hens like the corn, no problem. You aren't trying to raise them on it anyhow. Such things should not compose more than a tiny fraction of their diet anyhow.

Now, that said, all scratch isn't the same. This varies GREATLY from one feed packager to another. Some mixed grains called scratch are actually an excellent blend of 5 or 6 grains and have better than average nutritional value on the tag. More commonly, scratch isn't much more than 8 percent protein, a give away that it is merely cheap carbs.

I agree with Fred's Hens.

Millet is 11% protein I believe. But if there isn't much in there, the corn will weigh in at 7-8% protein and thus the bag = 8% protein.

Our two-grain scratch is wheat and corn. Birdseed is millet with sunflower seeds mixed in- also an excellent treat. Some just feed the black oil sunflower seeds as a treat. Lots of choices!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by