Scratch question..?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by smokeykk, Apr 3, 2011.

1. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Ok, so i have read somewhere, on a list of foods for chickens, that scratch is to be given only when its real cold out since it raises their body temp. Is this correct? And are there any other foods u know to be poisonious to chickens? I don't have chickens yet but i've been trying to get as much info as I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't want to mess up! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The body temp thing is a myth. All food raises body temp, scratch no more than any other. Scratch has less nutritional value than feed -- but chickens love it, it is like candy. So give it any time, but only as a treat.

3. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Sorry..newbie chicken owner...is scratch sold as just that..chicken scratch? is that diffrent then crumbles? I used laying pellets before then switched to crumbles...

4. smokeykk

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:THANK U!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Scratch is just grains, 3, 5, or 7 grain mixes. OK to toss on the ground, once in a while, if you want them to dig up the earth in that area.

Feed often comes in either pellets or crumbles. It is just the shape. It's a preference of the owner to feed either.

6. smokeykk

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Scratch is different than layer pellets or crumbles. I think crumbles and pellets are about the same, unless they have a different protien supplement. Chicken Scratch is more of a treat, like, i guess small seeds and things... see below

Scratch

http://www.oklahomahistory.net/ttphotos9a/HenScratch013009.jpg

Crumbles
    http://simplethrift.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/crumbles.jpg

Pellets
    http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thu...stockphoto_11291547-chicken-layer-pellets.jpg

Edited to say: Yes, chicken scratch is sold as chicken scratch i believe

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  7. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Very good to know..always looking for treats for the ladies...thanks!

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Scratch is NOT a complete feed. Not even close. It is missing a huge portion of the minerals, vitamins, calcium and protein of layer feed.

9. smokeykk

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Fred's Hens :

Scratch is NOT a complete feed. Not even close. It is missing a huge portion of the minerals, vitamins, calcium and protein of layer feed.

Sry, forgot to say that too! [​IMG]

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think scratch provides energy over a longer number of hours on the really long winter nights, because scratch is usually whole grains, instead of finely ground grains, like pellets and crumble. I think that's why it's traditionally been used at night in the winter. If you put pellets or crumble into water, they break up immediately. Whole grains take a lot more time to digest, so the chickens have food in their crops for a longer number of hours. It's a longer, slower release of energy for them at night. Every little bit helps, if you live in an area that's farther north, with longer nights and bitter cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by