Scratch, treats and grit question...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FRlEDeggs, Jul 6, 2010.

1. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    My chicks are 5 weeks old now, (here's another post about them https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=369050 ) And I was wondering if I could give them some scratch? Are they too young to have it? [​IMG]

What are some good treats for chicks? I've tried crickets and mealworms, which they LOVE. [​IMG] But I also tried yogurt and lettuce, which they hated! What do your chicks like?

Also, when can I switch them over to regular grit? Currently I'm using play sand, and it doesn't seem to do the trick anymore...

oh yeah, and when do "chicks" turn into "pullets"?

2. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    Anyone?

3. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
  4. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    Ok, everyone is welcome to correct me when (not if, lol) I'm wrong.

Think of scratch feed as chicken candy. The baby food and laying pellets have most everything they need. As Winter comes, feed them a little scratch to help them put on weight to have adequate body fat for the cold weather. Read the packages of your brand of feed. They will tell you how long to feed the starter feed and when to switch to grower or layer food.

For grit, go to a pet store and get bird grit. Since we have babies, the canary size is a better choice than parrot size grit. The brand I got has tiny pieces of charcoal, which is good for their digestion.

As for other treats, what do you like? Unless something is rotten, let them try what you are eating. No chicken products, as this could lead to some weird disease. (Mad cow is supposed to have been passed around because cows were being feed beef by-products.) Eat more fresh stuff, it's better for you and your birds. Your chickens should get all your vegetable peels (except maybe potatoes). My chickens don't care if the grapes are starting to look like raisins. Stale breakfast cereal is a hit, as is prepared rice (not uncooked, it will swell when they drink water).

Just remember that as you grow tired of eating something, they will too. Last Summer I swear they were saying "Tomatoes AGAIN? What are you thinking, Mama?" I was cleaning up the tomatoes from the old house's garden so the wild bunnies would have to go some place else for the free buffet. The chickens got all the spots that were bunny-bit, bird-pecked, or probable worm-eaten. Apparently a month of tomatoes was just too much. [​IMG]

My babies are about three weeks old and they enjoy the ants we have here. (NOT fireants, thank GOD!) Between the ants and the grass seed, they have a wild time outside. With it as hot as it is, I only allow them to stay out an hour or so.

Hope this helps some!

5. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oh Chicks Go Crazy And I Mean Cray For Watermellon.

6. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
  7. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

8. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Quote:Hey FRIEDeggs,

I'm a newbie and was wondering how you can tell that the play sand is no longer adequate for your chicks.

Thanks!

9. FRlEDeggs

Jun 6, 2010
    Hiya dedicateddourly! [​IMG]

Well, number one, bust compare the size of the sand to your chicks! [​IMG] You can usually tel when their just getting too big for the sand.

Also, my chicks had a bit of funny poo, so I figured the crop wasn't grinding the food very well and that they needed some actual grit, not bits of sand

However, you might want to ask some more experienced folk, because I'm a total newbie too [​IMG]

Thanks!

10. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

My oldest chicks are 15 weeks old and still get sand instead of grit with no apparent problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by