Scratch??????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Inmanfarm, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Inmanfarm

Inmanfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Oakland County, Michigan
    [​IMG] When is it ok too feed my hens scratch?????? is it ok to mix with grower/finisher? A little confused, I have been told scratch is winter thing when egg production is low, is this true??? THANKS (4 Isa Browns 16wks) [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    I scratch mine once a day after they are out with the rest of the flock. What ever age you put them out.They can get grit naturally then since I dont give it when they are chicks. you can give it to them as soon as you want if you offer chick grit. Mine get no more than they can consume in about 10 minutes, which for me is about 20 ounces for 35 adult birds.

I give it to them every day but less in the hot weather and when they are molting. They really need the protein in the feed not the empty carbs of grain then. I want them to eat the feed if they are hungry not the scratch so much.

It is very good to give it when its cold and they need the extra energy to stay warm though. They get alittle extra during these times.

[​IMG]

3. Inmanfarm

Inmanfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Oakland County, Michigan
    Thank-you for the info. I started mixing 1/2 grower+ 1/2 scratch in a seven pound feeder with food grade DE, sounds like i need to split the two up and add a little grit to their diet.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I start feeding scratch at around a year old. When I start feeding Scratch I feed it all year long.
    I cant see all that many "empty carbs" in a good scratch grain. I my self feed a good all grain pigeon feed that is around 14% protein.

A little information on Carbs....
    There are two types of Carbohydrates, Simple carbohydrates and Complex carbohydrates.

Simple carbohydrates: These are also called simple sugars. Simple sugars are found in refined sugars, like the white sugar you'd find in a sugar bowl. But you'll also find simple sugars in more nutritious foods, such as fruit and milk. It's better to get your simple sugars from food like fruit and milk.

Complex carbohydrates: These are also called starches. Starches include grain products, such as bread, crackers, pasta, and rice. As with simple sugars, some complex carbohydrate foods are better choices than others. Refined grains, such as white flour and white rice, have been processed, which removes nutrients and fiber. But unrefined grains still contain these vitamins and minerals. Unrefined grains also are rich in fiber, which helps your digestive system work well. Fiber helps you feel full, so you are less likely to overeat these foods. That explains why a bowl of oatmeal fills you up better than sugary candy that has the same amount of calories as the oatmeal.

With that being said "scratch grain" that has cracked and whole grains would be a source of complex carbohydrates and if that same "scratch grain" is coated with a molasses to cut the dust it will have both a simple and a complex carbohydrate.

When you eat carbs, the body breaks them down into simple sugars, which are absorbed into the bloodstream. Insulin is needed to move sugar from the blood into the cells, where the sugar can be used as a source of energy.

Chris

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Do you know off hand what the amount of protein in your Grower is?

Chris

6. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Regardless what anyone tells you, you should research it and decide for yourself.

Chris09 is obviously feeding special pigeon grain, but what most of us pick up at our local feed store lacks the adequate nutritional value to be a main food source. Only about 8% protein. Your layer feed is about 16%and grower around the same up to 20%. My point was not to argue the benefits or types of carbs merely the lack of good protein in scratch.

Below is Purina Mills evaluation of their own product.

This is what I buy, note the area below that tells us scratch grain is a supplemental and not a feed. It should make up no more than 10 % of the birds diet.

Scratch Grains SunFreshÂ[​IMG] Grains
    HOME>OUR PRODUCTS>PRODUCTS>SCRATCH GRAINS SUNFRESH® GRAIN

What it is...

A natural blend of high-quality grains to be fed as a supplement to adult chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys to encourage natural pecking and feeding instincts.

SunFresh[​IMG] Grains takes “natural” to a whole new level by using only the freshest, highest quality sun-grown grains FREE of all animal proteins and fats to give birds the safe, healthy goodness and fresh taste they deserve.

FEATURES BENEFITS
    SunFresh[​IMG] Grains Natural Sun-grown Grains
    FREE of all animal proteins and fats for healthy, happy birds.
    High Quality Premium Mixed Grains To Encourage Natural Pecking and Feeding Instincts
    Top quality grains help reduce the incidence of birds pecking and harming each other.

Certified Natural Your Assurance of Quality – It’s a Supplement You Can Trust
    Our guarantee that these are the very best grains providing a safe,
    natural supplement for poultry.

How and When to Feed:

Purina Mills[​IMG] Scratch Grains SunFresh[​IMG] Grains can be fed to adult chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys to encourage natural pecking and feeding instincts. Scratch Grains is a grain supplement, [​IMG] not a complete feed and should not comprise more than 10% of the birds’ diet. [​IMG]
    Always provide shelter and a constant supply of fresh, clean water.
    Consumption will vary depending upon season of the year, nutritional needs of the animals and availability of other foods.
    Important:
    Scratch Grains is a grain supplement, not a complete feed. If too much is fed, it will dilute the feed intake of complete feeds such as Purina Mills[​IMG] Start & Grow[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe, Purina Mills[​IMG] Flock Raiser[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe or Purina Mills[​IMG] Layena[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe, reducing the bird’s nutritional intake and overall performance. A feeding program is only as effective as the management practices. Actual results can vary depending upon feed intake, environmental conditions and the quality of management practices.

Caution:
    Store in a dry, well-ventilated area free from rodents and insects. Never use moldy or insect-infested feed.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Protein, not less than 8.0%
    Fat, not less than 1.5%
    Fiber, not more than 4.5%

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    A lot has to do with what you are using as a scratch.
    Yes I feed a pigeon feed mixed 50/50 with my regular feed. I fell that the pigeon feed is a better form of scratch. There is a good amount of protein in it and super clean..

Here are 3 types of Pigeon Grains i have used over the years..

• Racing Pigeon - 21.5% Protein - NO CORN
    Contains: Canada Peas, Maple Peas, Safflower, Austrian Peas, Whole Wheat, White Kafir, Red Milo, Vetch.
    Crude Protein (min) 21.5% Crude Fat (min) 4.0% Crude Fiber (max) 8.0%

• Breeder/Conditioner - 16% Protein - NO CORN
    Contains: Canada Peas, Red Milo, White Kafir, Maple Peas, Oat Groats, Austrian Peas, Whole Wheat, Safflower Seed, White Millet, Red Millet, Canary Seed, Vetch, Buckwheat, Rice.
    Crude Protein (min) 16.0% Crude Fat (min) 3.5% Crude Fiber (max) 8.0%

• Maintenance 14% Protein - W/Corn
    Contains: Canada Peas, Milo, Whole Wheat, Small Yellow Corn, Safflower Seed, Maple Peas, Flax, Brown Rice, Vetch, Buckwheat,
    Oat Groats.
    Crude Protein (min) 14.0% Crude Fat (min) 2.0% Crude Fiber (max) 9.0%

Chris

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    This is also part of the reason people feed higher protein than 16% Layena. If you feed an 18 or 20% laying feed, you can give scratch without being overly concerned about bringing the protein down too far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by