Scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hockeygirl56, Jul 4, 2011.

1. hockeygirl56

hockeygirl56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    I am looking at adding in some scratch to throw out in the run every day to keep the girls busy. From what I read on here, I only want to throw out a little bit, about what they can eat in 20 mins or so. I also read to be careful how much you feed in the summer b/c they don't need as many calories. I'm planning on using this as a supplement to their regular diet just to give them something to do. Are there any brands of scratch that are recommended more than others? I have already been throwing out strawberry tops and some leftovers at random too, but it sounds like they have more fun with scratch.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    dry oatmeal, BOSS sunflower seeds. rice, cooked or raw....all these things they can scratch for...and if they are free ranging, they will find their own bugs etc...they won't get "bored" if that is what you mean...I like to throw mine some lettuce, fresh alfalfa...etc...

Here is a link to a treat site you can reference:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I'm presently using Purina Scratch Grains.
    I don't think it's one of their fav treats but it will keep them occupied with huntin an peckin if you think their bored.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have the Nutrena scratch, not the fav either, which is fine, it's only a treat...they prefer to forage, or wait for the grapes!

5. hockeygirl56

hockeygirl56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    They have a run that's about 12x14 ft that they are in the majority of the time. I just want to give them whatever they might appreciate to make them happy when I'm not home enough to let them free range. I guess if they don't really need it I won't bother with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by