Scratching and picking off each other – should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinytina, Jul 9, 2010.

1. tinytina

tinytina Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Hi everyone! My name is Tina, I am new to the forum and new to chicken raising! I currently have four cutest RIRs, they are about 2-3 weeks old. They are really active and eating well, I am feeding them medicated chicken starter. They keep trying to fly, it's so cute. One even managed to jump all the way to my brother's shoulder when he bended down.[​IMG]

I am posting because I am not sure if the following are normal chicken behaviors, please tell me if I should be concerned and doing something:

1. They have been scratching a lot more lately and picking off each other, kinda of reminds me of what monkeys do when there are lice on each other. It's not violent when they pick off each other, the other bird would just stand still, usually quietly too.

2. Two of them occasionally sneezes – not continuously just occasionally. I think this started right after we had a quick shower and they were outside. The shower was so brief that it stopped by the time I got outside. The grounds where only damp, not wet.

Note: it's been quite hot where I am, above 30C, so the chicks have been free-ranging in a chicken tractor in the backyard during the day. They come into the house around 8:30pm, peep madly for 30 mins before falling asleep. [​IMG] Though I have to say peeping time is decreasing daily.

2. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Both of these are normal chicken behavior, don't worry!

3. tinytina

tinytina Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks Mattalyn! They are still such little birds and I guess it just makes me worry about them soo much!

4. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Ohhhh yes, my saying for chickens is "who needs boys, when chickens are better at breaking your heart" and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by