Scratching in the feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Haywire, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Haywire

Haywire Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I have a 10lb hanging feeder and the chickens are constantly scratching in the tray and scattering the pellets all over the place. I don't have it hung, it's on a stand I built. Would it deter them from scattering the feed if I hung it so that it swung when they tried to scratch? [​IMG]

Ian

2. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

The feeder should be set at chicken shoulder height. . . easy to access, hard to scratch. I have a few girls who will flick feed with their beaks from time to time, but the feeder stays clean and the feed stays put.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

3. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

I found keeping it at crop level makes it almost impossible to scratch in and they can still eat plenty. A little higher and they can still eat and you will cut out about 95% wastage .

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah, the main thing hanging the feeder does is put it at a higher elevation. You can do that on blocks just as easily...as other have said, around shoulder level. That way they can still reach in, but can't do much else.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have a production red that scratches the ground UNDER the feeder when I hang it [​IMG]

Chickens will be chickens. They will flick the feed if you hang it, so either way you have a mess.. I find mine will clean up whatever they spill though. [​IMG]

6. Haywire

Haywire Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Mine will clean up nicely if I forget to fill the feeder... [​IMG]

I'm hanging it tomorrow.
    Ian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by