scratching my head!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Dec 29, 2009.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    ive got a 3 and a half old chick.i found her outside all fluffed up and standing outside with her eyes shut around 2 weeks ago.i brought her in and gave her electrolytes and vits. in her water.im not sure of her breed but shes a very small bantam.shes eating and drinking fine,but she sleeps alot and shes still puffed up and her wings are hanging alot.droopy is all i can think of to explain the way she looks.i feed her purina chick grower(something like that)i tried to put her back out but she puffed up and jumped back in my lap so some times i think she just wants to be in the house but shes still droopy.any ideas would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I would start treatment for coccidiosis with Sulmet or another sulfa drug like Corid.
    Hows the poo look? by the time you start to see blood it may be too late.
    I had a couple I brought in and put in my basement in rubbermaid tub.with a window screen over the top and a light. They just went back out to the wooden box in the building.I think it was just too much for these little guys.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:her poo is fine,totally normal and shes been in the house alone for over 2 weeks.wouldnt it had shown up before this?all the other chickens are fine.

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, I guess It would have by two weeks.Then sometimes it can take them before the bloody shows up.This is my opinion and what I would do.
    It maybe just not used to the temp too.Thats why it is still fluffing up.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    im just really dumb founded.i would think after all this time she would either be alot better or alot worse.shes exactly the same.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Corid is amprollium, it is not a sulfa drug. I use it if in doubt because it is not an antibiotic. 1 cc in a quart of water. I change the water daily. The vitamins are good, plenty of clean food, a lot of folks recommend organic apple cider vinegar a teaspoon in a quart of water for a lot of non specific "i don't feel good" s like her fulffing up. by the way, you say she is three and a half old. three and a half what? I assume months.

7. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:lol yea months.i really dont want to treat her for cocci if she doesnt have it.wouldnt she be showing blood by now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by