Scrawny RIR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dtimms, Oct 30, 2009.

1. dtimms

dtimms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    NJ
    My flock includes an Australorp, Barred Rock, and RIR. The RIR is about 2 weeks younger than her "sisters" at about 19 weeks, but is also much scrawnier than they ever were. The other two are nice and plump, and the Australorp just started laying. (The other two are not.)

I've watched closely to make sure that the RIR is able to get at the food, not being picked on, etc and I see no signs of that. She doesn't seem droopy or sick at all. They all sleep together in a happy pile in the nest box (unfortunately!). She is much less friendly than the other two, and even when I open the coop for free-range time she tends to stay inside--the other two just about run me over, and will let me pet and lift them.

Is a skinnier body shape just typical of the breed? Do RIRs tend to be a little more shy? I'm hoping I'm just a neurotic first-time chicken Mom.

I'll try and get some pictures for comparison, but it's hard to get a picture of her with her sisters since she tends to stay in the coop!

Thanks so much for thoughts....

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    RIR's tend to be aggressive, although there is so much individual variation in them, especially with hatchery stock. I suspect this is just genetics. You could try a round of worming them, though; it is possible she has a bigger load than the others -- if you haven't wormed, of course.

I don't think a skinny body type is typical of the breed. All 3 of your breeds are dual purpose, meaning good for meat as well as eggs. I've had at least a few of each of your breeds, and my Australorps are always a bit larger than the rest. My Australorp roo is a good deal larger than my Buff Orp roo. My RIR and BR's were about the same size as each other, definitely smaller than the Australorps.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2009
  3. dtimms

dtimms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    NJ
    Thanks so much for your thoughts. You know, I was looking at her again this weekend and I'm wondering if she's a RIR at all. She did come from a feed store, so she could be a mutt... She has really long, thick, yellow legs and her feathers are laced with a dark brown around the edges. She's skinnier but actually taller than the other two, and doesn't have the same fluff on her butt as them (sorry for really techincal description). She has a small comb and doesn't have any dark feathers in her tail. I'll try and catch a picture and post it under the "what breed" section and here too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by