1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Screamin' Silkie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RocketChick, May 3, 2009.

1. RocketChick

RocketChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Okay, so I was at a local feed store a few days ago and they had many many chicks to choose from!! I decided to pick a silkie because apparently they're very calm and make good pets...hmmm...

This is the only chick I have(out of four) that screams bloody murder when I pick it up and won't stop until I put it back into the brooder. It flees from my hand and hates it. Ahh, I don't see calm and docile! ): it will eat from my hand but very nervously and if the hand moves at all, off it goes!

Idk if this is important but it is a whitie silkie. And oddly, it is the most closest to my pekin duckling. (How cute though! [​IMG])

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Not sure mine are all very loving, might just take some time to build trust. You never know how many people picked it up and squeezed it at the store.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  3. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    I'd suggest just keep handling it away from the others. I had one that was very attached to the other chicks and hated me. But after a while of handling it on its own where it couldnt hear or see the others, it relaxed.

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    lol, just because it's a breed that is generally calm and happy doesn't mean that's what you'll get. it's a generalization because usually they are nice and tame. i'va had silkies and they were all nice and sweet. they would follow me around the yard as happily as ever accepting treats whenever i offered..

.. but one, one was evil. his name was Pooxie and he was the meanest roo i ever had or seen. he BEAT THE CRAP out of my older brother Steve. poor bloke came into the house crying after my mom sent him to get the eggs. (this was years ago when my brother was like 10. he's 23 now)

anywho, if you can ind a treat that it's crazy for i might suggest giving that to him before and after holding him. he will associate your hands with yummy treats and hopefully start to get used to it. try ramen noodles but be sure to either rinse the flavoring off or don't add it. the flavoring in it is much too salty for baby chicks.

try live meal worms or earth worms too, but not all chickens like earthworms. for some reason my black sex links HATED them.

good luck with the baby! she'll likely grow out of it.

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:this would do some good as well i think [​IMG]

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    What you may be hearing is called the silkie death scream. It's not
    fear. It's a sound certain silkies make before going for your throat.
    Silkies are extremely intellegent and evil. Don't let your guard down.

7. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:are you speaking from experience lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by