Screaming Chick?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peppypap, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Hello, My 5-6 week old chick that I got a few days ago just SCREAMED! Like real Horrror movie scream! Multipule times!! [​IMG] Why do they do this??? It (Not sure if boy or girl) Has plenty of water, feed, it's in a bed of hay inside a plastic storage bin with a plastic chicken wire top, and a friends it likes to nest with. It made me jump out of my skin!! What the what?!?!?!? [​IMG]

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have a guess for you. Could it possibly be a roo just starting to crow? I have heard that when they first start it can be a very strange noise and the noise is different from one roo to another. I am assuming that you checked to make sure it wasn't hurt.

3. Peppypap

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Yes, it is perfectley fine. Now it's scratching in the hay with the other chick looking for food it kicked out. Waaa!!! I can't have roosters in Dallas!! [​IMG] There has to be another reason!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You hatched the chick and can't have roos. What is your plan for the 50% roos that hatch?

5. Peppypap

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Did you read the post? 5-6 week old chick I got a few days ago. I can't hatch a 5 week old chick. [​IMG]

6. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    if its a roo, bring it over and i'll give it a good home.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Sorry, my bad. Not quite sure how I did that.

If you bought females, then, perhaps the seller would take him back in trade for a (real) female. Often they will. Anyone can guess wrong at this age.

8. Peppypap

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    You would do that Jasonm? [​IMG] Thank you soo much!! It's a little cochin, maybe Some silkie in it. It was sold yo us as a silkie and we saw the mom, but unkown Dad. Not even sure if that was the mom. Would you like me to post a picture? It is just the sweetest little thing, And it's is such a cute little chick! We will let you know if it turns out to be a roo. (We are thinking yes, but hoping it is a hen!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by