Screech Mouse has the Frizzle/Sizzle gene,, mommy narrowed to 4!

WriterofWords

Has Fainting Chickens
13 Years
Dec 25, 2007
Chaparral, New Mexico
Someone in the baby pen is a mommy,, it's a either a Sizzle/Frizzle or the Silkie. I had no idea someone has been holding out one little egg and sitting on it in there. Yesterday morning when I went to feed I saw something tiny and black scurrying in the back of the baby house so I thought it was a mouse and grabbed the shovel to whack it. Right before I swung it came out of the straw and it's tiny, tiny, little chick! I've never had a baby this tiny before. It looks to be a couple of days old, was all alone, and no momma nearby to protect it from being whacked so I brought it inside and put it under a heat lamp. The little Silkie hen is buff colored but all the Sizzle/Frizzles are black. This one has feathered legs. I also found out one of the Sizzle/Frizzles is a roo, I thought the only roo was killed in the hawk attack.
5415_0307001415.jpg

5415_0307001413.jpg

5415_0307001413a.jpg

5415_0307001414.jpg

4/2
5415_screech_mouse.jpg

Last edited:

WriterofWords

Has Fainting Chickens
13 Years
Dec 25, 2007
Chaparral, New Mexico
That would be a great name! Mouse is lonely though,, and our feed store doesn't have babies yet. I don't feel comfortable with it outside since no hen came to help it when it started screaming as I grabbed it. It's here in the office with me and will probably go to school tomorrow.

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
10 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
WOW, that had to be a shock!
Did you find the shell it hatched out of? Could the mama still be sitting on a clutch somewhere?

About being an only child (errr, chick) .... I read somewhere that they stop chirping so much if they have a mirror in the brooder. I dunno, just an idea.

Thanks for sharing with us! Congratulations!

Top Bottom