Screech Mouse has the Frizzle/Sizzle gene,, mommy narrowed to 4!

WriterofWords

Has Fainting Chickens
14 Years
Dec 25, 2007
Chaparral, New Mexico
Someone in the baby pen is a mommy,, it's a either a Sizzle/Frizzle or the Silkie. I had no idea someone has been holding out one little egg and sitting on it in there. Yesterday morning when I went to feed I saw something tiny and black scurrying in the back of the baby house so I thought it was a mouse and grabbed the shovel to whack it. Right before I swung it came out of the straw and it's tiny, tiny, little chick! I've never had a baby this tiny before. It looks to be a couple of days old, was all alone, and no momma nearby to protect it from being whacked so I brought it inside and put it under a heat lamp. The little Silkie hen is buff colored but all the Sizzle/Frizzles are black. This one has feathered legs. I also found out one of the Sizzle/Frizzles is a roo, I thought the only roo was killed in the hawk attack.
5415_0307001415.jpg

5415_0307001413.jpg

5415_0307001413a.jpg

5415_0307001414.jpg

4/2
5415_screech_mouse.jpg

Last edited:
That would be a great name! Mouse is lonely though,, and our feed store doesn't have babies yet. I don't feel comfortable with it outside since no hen came to help it when it started screaming as I grabbed it. It's here in the office with me and will probably go to school tomorrow.

WOW, that had to be a shock!
Did you find the shell it hatched out of? Could the mama still be sitting on a clutch somewhere?

About being an only child (errr, chick) .... I read somewhere that they stop chirping so much if they have a mirror in the brooder. I dunno, just an idea.

Thanks for sharing with us! Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom