screech owls...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kareninthesun, Aug 7, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I'm glad my chickens sleep in their coop at night. I know that owls only hunt at night, but when do they start? Full night? Dusk? We've sadly had a whole bunch of neighborhood kittens go missing, and late last night, my neighbor went to hunt a missing one down and was too late, heard the owl, heard the poor kitten screaming. It was awful. PLEASE protect all the creatures YOU are being held responsible for. Assume there is SOMETHING out there just waiting for a meal. I don't know if it is the weather or what, and I know that bats aren't something to worry about out here (we have fruit bats) but I was shocked the other night when coming home on the FREEWAY a bat did a low sweep over the car, easy to identify him. But just weird. Way out of his territory.

2. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    We have a great horned owl here that occasionally appears at dusk, but barred owls, I believe, have been known to hunt during daylight. I often hear them during the day, so they must be active. Have seen a barred owl during daylight only once or twice. I agree with you -- it is our responsibility to keep our animals safe, and will add that the most sustainable way to do that is non-lethally: prevent conflict in the first place.

If an owl is taking your kittens, I doubt it is a screech owl, as they are tiny.

3. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    the kittens aren't mine, or they'd be kept in the house. Cats don't like my dogs, and I have a parrot and cockatiel whom don't like cats. The two owls who live closest to me are huge, but friendly to humans. I was talking on my cell phone one early evening and one swooped down and sat right in front of me. I never heard it. Never even seen one land on the ground before. I just watched it for about a minute, beautiful creature, then soundlessly, it was up in the air. This owl couple nests towards the top of a very tall and old palm tree. Don't think it is the same type of owl that my neighbor saw, but don't know the difference. But now that I've recalled what I forgot [​IMG] its a yes, don't wait for the sun to set.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    (we have fruit bats

Where are you?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by