screeching pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TimG, Aug 7, 2010.

1. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Hi,

I have a 20 week old Freedom Ranger pullet that is screeching tonight, the noise is more screechy and high pitched than normal chicken noises, in fact I was doubtful that the noise was coming from the coop when my daughter asked me about it.

I went out to take a look and one of my pullets seems to be in some distress. She makes soft cooing type noises followed by sort of a gulp of air. Every-so-often she lets out a screech.

Although she has some crap stuck to fluff feathers, her vent is clear. I felt around the vent as best I could, squeezed the soft parts, and was not able to feel any obstruction -- no egg nearly out sort of thing. While I was examining things, she definitely flexed some muscles around the vent like she might be trying to push something out.

I have seven Ranger pullets, at least one of which started laying eggs at 15 weeks. I tend to think that they have all laid their first eggs by now, but this girl could be behind the rest and be having trouble with her first.

I don't mean to sound callous, but I'm going to let her work through this on her own overnight and hope that everything is better in the morning. I half expect to find her dead in the morning, but if she's still alive and in distress in the morning, I'd like to know what I might do to help her.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. McGoo

McGoo Songster

What happened? Did she survive?

3. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    She's still alive, screeching less often, still gulping/panting.

Someone suggested privately that she might have a cold. I suppose if that's the case I should isolate her.

4. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    No change...

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    A warm bath in a bucket or tote, might help her relax those muscles to let the egg pass. It sounds like she's really in distress. I would probably give her a drink of vitamins and electrolytes, or a few drops of poly-vi-sol without iron, if you have it. She's been going at it a long time, and is probably using up her energy. I would step in and help her as best I could.

6. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Warm bath in the morning. Though that could just add to the stress.

7. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Her head was drooped to the ground this morning, so I thought she was a goner for sure. I decided a bath would likely be more stressful than helpful. But, next time I went out to check up on her, she had moved from out in the run to inside. And, last I checked she was out in the yard, or at least wasn't to be found in the coop or run. Don't know if that means a sudden recovery or a last bit of energy before expiring.

8. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chirping

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    i heard vegatable oil helps chickens with hard-to-lay eggs

9. TimG

TimG Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:In which end?

10. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    tim,
    i am sorry to tell you but u are a man, you dont understand the females body

to make us women to feel better we go relax in a warm bath. it help move us down here , yes give her some olive oil in her food and in her vent. but please give her a warm bath now.
    laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by