Screened Porch and Hawks

mrybells

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2020
Alpharetta, Ga
I am thinking about moving my chicks from the garage to the screened porch when they are 3 weeks old. We have some serious hawk action in the backyard. Do I have to worry about hawks coming through the screen to get to the chicks?

I also wanted to bring them out for some supervised free ranging in the yard. Should i make an enclosure for them (6 chicks) which they can free range and I can sit with them or can i just sit in the yard with them and let them explore. Not only worried about hawks but also making sure I am not going crazy trying to gather 6 baby chicks. From the time i spend with them in the garage I feel like they all stay pretty close together and they don't venture too far from me but outside could be whole different story. Thanks!

How are you going to contain them on your screen porch? Dog crate or run free? Are they going to spend the night on the screened porch? I don't think a hawk will break thru the screen, but a raccoon will slice through it in a flash. I had 2 chicks that I took in the yard from1 week of age for short periods of time. I stayed right there with them though and 1 day a lovely black racer (snake) suddenly appeared now I don't know if it was after the chicks or was just simply crossing paths... You need to watch them like a hawk & be able to gather them up quickly if need be. They will love being outside! Mine did nothing but dirt bathe for their first several outdoor adventures.

How are you going to contain them on your screen porch? Dog crate or run free? Are they going to spend the night on the screened porch? I don't think a hawk will break thru the screen, but a raccoon will slice through it in a flash. I had 2 chicks that I took in the yard from1 week of age for short periods of time. I stayed right there with them though and 1 day a lovely black racer (snake) suddenly appeared now I don't know if it was after the chicks or was just simply crossing paths... You need to watch them like a hawk & be able to gather them up quickly if need be. They will love being outside! Mine did nothing but dirt bathe for their first several outdoor adventures.
I would keep them in a dog crate on the porch. They are in the windowless garage so I would love for them to actually have the natural sunrise and sunset. 2 at a time sounds like a good idea. I can handle that and can't wait to see them doing their thing!

I wouldn't leave them overnight on a screened porch if you have coons in the area. I have a screened porch that has sliding windows I close up at night. I only have 3 chickens & they each have their own dog crate. During the day I let them free range. My biggest predator threats are raccoons, snakes & aerial preds. Mine stayed very close to the house in the beginning, but were also very skittish to catch.

Back
Top Bottom