SCREENING IN THE COOP?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickeepoo, May 23, 2008.

1. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I have hardware cloth and chicken wire on my small coop, but I'm getting ready to build a bigger one and thought I would use screening over the wire to keep out flies and other pests, plus prevent any contact with wild birds (and any transmission of avian flu through feces, should that worry ever come here).

Is this a bad idea for reasons I don't know?

2. rhetoric

rhetoric Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Western New York
    Chickens LIKE bugs, don't they?

3. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Yes, so I would then face the inconvenience of breeding and providing bugs and mealworms! We've had West Nile here from mosquitoes, and at some point I would venture to say we might see avian flu, so I wouldn't need to use screen RIGHT away- just a logistical question for the future then.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Screen, certainly. You want to be in control of the coop environment, not allow random vectors to sneak in.
    The coop should be a place YOU would live in, airy and pleasant.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have screens on my main coop windows and plan on stapling some on the other coop window to help keep the bugs from flying in.

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    DE on their food will also cut down on flys in coop!

7. buffy-chickchick

buffy-chickchick Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    I have window screening and chicken wire/hardware cloth on all my coops. Flies still find thier way in when i open the door...but it almost completely cuts down on the mosquito issues .

In the deep south we have a lot of bugs and it keeps most of the other bugs out of of the coops at night too. Seems like at dusk time all the wierd unnamed bugs begin thier day.

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I use screen and hardware cloth for our coop windows and vents and love it. It's not a bad idea, at all! [​IMG]

Dawn

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    We put screen in ours today. Just stapled it on.

10. chickeepoo

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you all for responding! I think I'll go ahead and add in the screen right from the git-go. -And I'll be using hardware cloth, no chicken wire with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by