1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

screw in gizzard (pics) :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sweetjustice, Feb 2, 2012.

1. sweetjustice

sweetjustice New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    Portand/Salem Oregon
    One of my pet chickens has been not herself for 3-4 weeks now. Started with noticing that she wasn't eating or drinking as much as normal and standing in one place most of the day. I've went over all the postings here I could find, and there were quite a few, looking for answers. Went thru all the common possibilities such as crop problems, egg bound ect., I make sure she's getting water by using a medicine dropper. Some days she'd seem better only to seem worse the next. Yesterday, it she started having trouble standing and spent most of her time resting on the back of her legs. I ended up taking her to an animal ER after being sent to three different clinics. I live in Portland OR and there aren't any avian vets really close to where I live. Luckily the doc we saw had chickens herself and didn't even mind when my little Chickadee started pecking the crap out of her. She didn't even flinch. A mass was felt, originally thought an abnormally shaped egg that was stuck, and x-rays were ordered. Well an egg would have been better than what we found, she has a good sized screw in her gizzard that they can't tell if its punctured her GI tract or not, along with other objects making up the mass that was felt. There's also metal and other in her crop. They weren't comfortable suggesting surgery and instead gave fluids to hydrate and some pain meds and instructed me to see an avian vet this morning to discuss treatment options. Now, I realize that it looks grim for Chickadee, she's lost so much weight and am pretty sure she would've passed it already if she was able to. But there's still a part holding out hope. I have two special needs kids and the chickens have kinda become their "companion pets". But funds are very limited and I can no way afford to pay the vet bills. It was $240 just for what they did last night and it did nothing towards fixing the problem. So I hoping that maybe someone in my area knows of a program or something that might offer some help with vet bills?? Any advise, or maybe someone's positive outcome in a similar experience would be appreciated. I have to start calling vets here shortly after getting my little guy off to preschool.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I am so sorry for your little chickadee! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Do you have veterinary college nearby that might be able to help?
    I hope you can find some help with her and the expenses, too.

3. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Hi there. I am from around the Portland area as well, but know of no Vet that will look at a chicken. I will do some research as well and If I find something I will let you know. Hope she pulls through this!! [​IMG]

4. i usually don't suggest this, but if she's in pain, i would cull her. its just being nice to her. surgery isn't fun and its very costly, but if you can easily afford it, then go for it. but i think the humane thing would be to cull. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] and many more hugs!

5. sweetjustice

sweetjustice New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    Portand/Salem Oregon
    I've found 2 one in Lake Oswego, and another out towards Hillsboro. The fluids must have helped her some, she's eaten more today than she has in a while. She doesnt seem to be in pain really, she's walking more than she had been yesterday. Her sweet little personality is still totally there, even a bit more fiestier than usual.

6. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Have You been watching her closely? Do you think maybe she has passed those objects? So glad to hear of some improvement!! Call the Vets and find out what you can do for her. Sounds like she is worth saving for sure!! [​IMG][​IMG]

7. yes, i agree with tamihunter i just would think if theres a screw stuck in her then she would be in pain, but if not then keep her. i had a hen who was in serious pain bc she had a bite under her leg and she couldn't walk or anything and i almost wanted to cull her bc it was too painful to watch her suffer... and here she is two years later! all better except for her limp!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by